Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping heavy items from London to Chicago or Milwaukee

Shipping heavy items from London to Chicago or Milwaukee

Old Sep 16th 2012, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping heavy items from London to Chicago or Milwaukee

Items are London Underground steel signs. All steel and about 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick, about 3 feet by 5 feet. Weight about 100 - 200 pounds. Have around 2 or 3 of these signs. Rest of the signs/ LU stuff is much smaller.

Below is a pic. of the sort of sign I am referring to.

--

2nd item is a grinder. Weight about 600 kilos. About 6.5 feet tall and 3 feet by 3 feet.

--

3rd item is a replacement frame/chassis for my NAS spec Defender 110. Salisbury axle (the whole kit i.e. gears, axle casing, brakes etc..) and Bulkhead.

--

So obviously by ship. Who can crate such items, and deliver it to me in the MidWest? I could probably deliver it to their loading dock in London or even to the coast.

Several years ago I looked into Uship and they said they could do it but plans changed at the time. Anyone here have expereince with UShip?
http://www.uship.com/uk/

Last edited by Boomhauer; Sep 16th 2012 at 8:13 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shipping heavy items from London to Chicago or Milwaukee

Anglo Pacific might be helpful, they are in west London, Park Royal. I looked into shipping a boiler and some radiators at one time, (can't stand these wretched furnaces!) and they were great at supplying quotes and timescales.

So why are you shipping parts of the Central Line?
I was in London last week and it was still running then, don't tell me Boris has put it on ebay?!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Middlemore
Anglo Pacific might be helpful, they are in west London, Park Royal. I looked into shipping a boiler and some radiators at one time, (can't stand these wretched furnaces!) and they were great at supplying quotes and timescales.

So why are you shipping parts of the Central Line?
I was in London last week and it was still running then, don't tell me Boris has put it on ebay?!
LU auctioned off a lot of signs back in late 1995-early 1996. I bought mine at the auction . A lot of desirable stations like Piccadily Circus, Regent St. Oxford St. etc.. were auctioned off.

How big and heavy was the boiler?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 3:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
LU auctioned off a lot of signs back in late 1995-early 1996. I bought mine at the auction . A lot of desirable stations like Piccadily Circus, Regent St. Oxford St. etc.. were auctioned off.
About to say that must have been a bugger to have pinched off the wall
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
About to say that must have been a bugger to have pinched off the wall
Back in 1996, I went to the check-in counter at Heathrow and enquired about shipping some of the signs (the small ones) as accompanying passenger luggage. After some innitial surprise on the part of the female staff, they said that if it fit through their conveyor belt opening, it can be sent. Then the one lady asks me if LU were missing any signs , IOW did I nick it! I nonchalantly said No and smiled. I am certain they were taken back and weren't sure if I was lying or being cheeky.