Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping goods Australia to USA

Shipping goods Australia to USA

Old Feb 28th 2002, 2:25 am
Steve

Default Shipping goods Australia to USA

Hi

I recently got married to my US girlfriend and have moved to Florida. Now I need to
get some personal effects sent from Australia to the USA. I have 7 cartons with
mostly books and "stuff" and I would like some clues on the best way of getting
them sent.

Has anyone here had "stuff" sent to the USA and if so, who with, how much, how long,
etc.... Any companies that I should stay clear of, any companies that anyone can
recommend.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Old Feb 28th 2002, 3:05 am
Eoin

Default Re: Shipping goods Australia to USA

I used Emery worldwide - they had an office at Christchurch Airport. I approached
them directly - to ship 300 kg ( one pallet about chin height ) it cost me NZ$800
INCLUDING insurance - it took 30 or so days to get to Ohio. Customs was a no brainer
too - just had to go to the office at the airport and sign some papers (no money
changed hands) the go to the truck depot it was at - show them the custom paperwork
... load up the van and I was off

BTW - by boat is a reasonable price - air freight would have been $3000 odd NZ

Steve wrote:

> Hi
    >
    > I recently got married to my US girlfriend and have moved to Florida. Now I need to
    > get some personal effects sent from Australia to the USA. I have 7 cartons with
    > mostly books and "stuff" and I would like some clues on the best way of getting
    > them sent.
    >
    > Has anyone here had "stuff" sent to the USA and if so, who with, how much, how
    > long, etc.... Any companies that I should stay clear of, any companies that anyone
    > can recommend.
    >
    > Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Steve

Old Feb 28th 2002, 5:45 pm
Mark Lambert

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] says...
    > Hi
    >
    > I recently got married to my US girlfriend and have moved to Florida. Now I need to
    > get some personal effects sent from Australia to the USA. I have 7 cartons with
    > mostly books and "stuff" and I would like some clues on the best way of getting
    > them sent.
    >
    > Has anyone here had "stuff" sent to the USA and if so, who with, how much, how
    > long, etc.... Any companies that I should stay clear of, any companies that anyone
    > can recommend.
    >
    > Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Steve
    >
Steve,

I recently had 4 tea chests of personal effects shipped from Melbourne to Washington
DC. I had my kids pack the boxes and then the shipper picked them up from my
otherwise empty flat. most of the corespondance was done via email.

cost comparison was $2,000au for air or $800au for sea.. I chose sea. the goods left
Melb 23rd Dec 2001 and arrived LA 18th Jan 2002.. and then took until 20th Feb 2002
to truck from LA to DC!!

total costs were $790au for initial shipping, then $150us to a brokerage in chicago,
then $90us to the final freight depot in DC.

crossocean freight handled it all, except final customs clearance and pickup, which I
did myself. Customs did not charge me any duty, the goods being my personal effects,
all second hand, and all over 1 year old.. they did not even inspect the contents.
Crossocean did a great job IMHO.

if you want to contact the shipper yourself, here is his contact details straight
from email: Franc Maurici Assistant Manager Crossocean Forwarding Services 70 -74
Springbank Street Tullamarine, VIC. 3043. A u s t r a l i a

t: 61 3 8318 6888
u: 61 3 8336 1699
v: 0403 287 987
w: [email protected]

--
I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I think I
preferred the cows. They were better conversation, easier to milk, and if they
annoyed me enough, I could shoot them and eat them. -- Rodger Donaldson, in the
Monastery.

Old Mar 1st 2002, 2:36 pm
Sunny

I did move from canberra 3 years back, I did have lot of books and other stuff which
my friends did ship me later. They just went to post office and got it shipped. I had
them in less then 2 months, and they were delivered in good shape. The cost was 40 %
of Air mail. SP Mark Lambert <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]> ...
    > In article <[email protected] >,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I recently got married to my US girlfriend and have moved to Florida. Now I need
    > > to get some personal effects sent from Australia to the USA. I have 7 cartons
    > > with mostly books and "stuff" and I would like some clues on the best way of
    > > getting them sent.
    > >
    > > Has anyone here had "stuff" sent to the USA and if so, who with, how much, how
    > > long, etc.... Any companies that I should stay clear of, any companies that
    > > anyone can recommend.
    > >
    > > Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >
    > Steve,
    >
    > I recently had 4 tea chests of personal effects shipped from Melbourne to
    > Washington DC. I had my kids pack the boxes and then the shipper picked them up
    > from my otherwise empty flat. most of the corespondance was done via email.
    >
    > cost comparison was $2,000au for air or $800au for sea.. I chose sea. the goods
    > left Melb 23rd Dec 2001 and arrived LA 18th Jan 2002.. and then took until 20th Feb
    > 2002 to truck from LA to DC!!
    >
    > total costs were $790au for initial shipping, then $150us to a brokerage in
    > chicago, then $90us to the final freight depot in DC.
    >
    > crossocean freight handled it all, except final customs clearance and pickup, which
    > I did myself. Customs did not charge me any duty, the goods being my personal
    > effects, all second hand, and all over 1 year old.. they did not even inspect the
    > contents. Crossocean did a great job IMHO.
    >
    > if you want to contact the shipper yourself, here is his contact details straight
    > from email: Franc Maurici Assistant Manager Crossocean Forwarding Services 70 -74
    > Springbank Street Tullamarine, VIC. 3043. A u s t r a l i a
    >
    >
    > t: 61 3 8318 6888
    > f: 61 3 8336 1699
    > m: 0403 287 987
    > e: [email protected]