Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping furniture to uk

Shipping furniture to uk

Old Sep 28th 2021, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Shark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond reputeShark013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping furniture to uk

Hi all, I’m trying to ship some furniture back to U.K. but am finding it difficult the prices are through the roof and they want to add 20 % tax on top I’ve explained the furniture is over 4 years old and originally sent it from the U.K. with out any of these extra tax and my residence is the U.K. I’m am not a USA resident only here on an e2 why am I being charged 20% tax to return it can anyone please explain or recommend a service? Thanks in advance
Old Sep 28th 2021, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping furniture to uk

20% sounds like VAT, you would need to ask the shipper why they have to charge VAT.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 6:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping furniture to uk

Originally Posted by Shark013
Hi all, I’m trying to ship some furniture back to U.K. but am finding it difficult the prices are through the roof and they want to add 20 % tax on top I’ve explained the furniture is over 4 years old and originally sent it from the U.K. with out any of these extra tax and my residence is the U.K. I’m am not a USA resident only here on an e2 why am I being charged 20% tax to return it can anyone please explain or recommend a service? Thanks in advance

20% is the VAT rate that the UK will charge on imports. As I am learning, if you are transferring your residence back to the UK, you fill out a form (TOR) ahead of time so that you do not have to pay VAT on your personal items that you are shipping home. If your shipper doesn't know about this, I would use another shipper. The one I have spoken to so far immediately informed me about this form.

Here are the conditions for your goods to qualify under TOR.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer...n-claim-relief