Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You'd like that wouldn't you? pervert

It would be in the carrier so it couldn't nibble anything outside.

Yes, I would even take my beloved motorcycle boots off for a toe nibbling
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:49 am
Just Joined

zennow is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't mind the pun...I don't think you have a cat in hells chance...all animals have to go in the hold when arriving or departing the UK.

That's not what he was asking...he was asking if he could take his pet in the cabin when leaving the UK.
Aha, I understand, missed that post.

Anyway, this is what I found at http://www.heathrowairport.com

It does state that all animals arriving in the UK may only do so as manifested air cargo, I assume that is in the hold?

But it doesn't say anything about animals departing from heathrow, at least I didn't find it.

All in all if travelling with a pet I would always suggest calling and speaking directly with the proper airport officials and keeping a record of their names just in case something comes up.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:23 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't mind the pun...I don't think you have a cat in hells chance...all animals have to go in the hold when arriving or departing the UK.
I used to think that this was the case, but I found out I was wrong. The rule is, no pets in cabin arriving in the UK (except on exec jets, because they don't have pressurised holds), airline's choice when departing the UK. And United and Delta have chosen to allow pets in cabin departing the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I used to think that this was the case, but I found out I was wrong. The rule is, no pets in cabin arriving in the UK (except on exec jets, because they don't have pressurised holds), airline's choice when departing the UK. And United and Delta have chosen to allow pets in cabin departing the UK.
You're missing my point...it doesn't matter what the airline regulations/rules are regarding this...they have no say on British soil. Check with the airport authorities.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:05 pm

You're missing my point...it doesn't matter what the airline regulations/rules are regarding this...they have no say on British soil. Check with the airport authorities.
I did, I checked with City of London TS, who operate the animal reception centre at LHR. Apparently the airport rules allow pets in cabin outbound, at the airlines' discretion. I also double checked with Delta.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I did, I checked with City of London TS, who operate the animal reception centre at LHR. Apparently the airport rules allow pets in cabin outbound, at the airlines' discretion. I also double checked with Delta.
That's good news and interesting to know in case anyone else asks.

Do you keep kitty with you in the airport and carry it on board?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

That might be possible, if it was a small puppy. I've been looking into this for our kitten. You've got two options out of London - United will allow pets in cabin (but only in coach) and Delta will allow pets up front Costs an extra $150 or so, but you get to have your baby travel with you.
This somewhat surprises me. Given that people with allergies could be on the plane, I'm surprised that an airline would allow dogs/cats in the cabin, even if they are small. Esp since some people can be very sensitive to the danders, and there's obviousy no place to go for them to get away from it on a plane.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:07 pm

That's good news and interesting to know in case anyone else asks.

Do you keep kitty with you in the airport and carry it on board?
Yes, as I understand it you put her carrier through the x-ray, then carry her through the metal detector. There has also been talk about a little room where they give her a kitty pat-down, but I'm not sure about that.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
This somewhat surprises me. Given that people with allergies could be on the plane, I'm surprised that an airline would allow dogs/cats in the cabin, even if they are small. Esp since some people can be very sensitive to the danders, and there's obviousy no place to go for them to get away from it on a plane.
It's actually very common on domestic flights in the USA. I've been sat next to puppies lots of times. It's only TATL where it gets a bit unusual.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, as I understand it you put her carrier through the x-ray, then carry her through the metal detector. There has also been talk about a little room where they give her a kitty pat-down, but I'm not sure about that.
That's interesting I've never seen anyone carrying a pet through a UK airport.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually very common on domestic flights in the USA. I've been sat next to puppies lots of times. It's only TATL where it gets a bit unusual.
I've been on a few dozen flights, and I've never seen an animal on a flight, but I have seen them in airports. I just assumed they always went in the hold. I can understand allowing pets a bit more on a domestic flight only a few hrs long, but on a 8 or 9 hour transatlantic flight, I'm surprised an airline would let you do it.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I'm extremely allergic to cats and the thought of sitting next to someone who has one in a pet carrier at my feet for a 10 hour flight makes me feel ill! (nothing against the cats themselves, they just make me really, really sick) (Before we boarded an internal flight recently in the US we were told not to bring anything on board that contained peanuts of traces of peanut oil on board as there was going to be a child on board with a peanut allergy..)
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67
I'm extremely allergic to cats and the thought of sitting next to someone who has one in a pet carrier at my feet for a 10 hour flight makes me feel ill! (nothing against the cats themselves, they just make me really, really sick) (Before we boarded an internal flight recently in the US we were told not to bring anything on board that contained peanuts of traces of peanut oil on board as there was going to be a child on board with a peanut allergy..)
Oddly enough, SWMBO and I have considered this. That's why we'll be taking a block of two seats up-front on Delta where there's more space. I think that that's sufficient accommodation for anybody with allergies. Of course, some may disagree
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by lisa67
Peanut allergy is a little different...just a wiff can cause a life or death situation. Many airlines do not serve peanut snacks because of this.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Peanut allergy is a little different...just a wiff can cause a life or death situation. Many airlines do not serve peanut snacks because of this.
Oh I agree totally JG, just had never come across this before and was suprised by it all...just felt sorry for the family who have to travel like this. I mean the airline couldn't guarantee that no one on the inbound flight had been eating peanuts or products containing peanut oil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.