British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping and Customs Form (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-customs-form-771435/)

civilservant Sep 12th 2012 9:35 pm

Shipping and Customs Form

Evening all,

I'm about to send my Die Cast Model Aircraft across the pond via priority international shipping (by air, obviously) as I am visiting my wife in the next couple of weeks and would like to inspect the package once it has arrived rather than have to wait months. There are over £1000 worth of them (30+) so carrying them myself in luggage is simply not practical.

I have a quite a (quite reasonable for a 25Kg package) quote of £85 - however I am unsure as to it I need to include customs information. In the items section of the 'order' for the shipping I had to give detailed information on the contents, and a reason for shipping along with the intend use (home items etc) however there was no mention of a formal 'customs declaration' similar to what I have always had to sign when sending things at the post office.

Can anyone advise if I do need to include something like this and attach it to the outside? Or if there is something else I have forgotten?

Thanks

lansbury Sep 12th 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Shipping and Customs Form

There should be a customs declaration form of some kind. Who is shipping the items for you, they should have the forms you need to fill out.

civilservant Sep 12th 2012 10:26 pm

City Link.... Since they are collecting the item (and no doubt expecting to take it without delay) I'm surprised it hasn't been/wan't mentioned during the process.

lansbury Sep 12th 2012 10:48 pm

The information they asked for is what you would expect to go on the customs form. Plus when we shipped out stuff over, we had to give the reason for the shipping, as you have been asked.

Think I'd call them and just double check.

civilservant Sep 12th 2012 10:54 pm

Will do, thanks Ian :)

ian-mstm Sep 14th 2012 12:39 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10278013)
Will do, thanks Ian :)

His name isn't Ian. Mine is, though.

Ian

RICH Sep 14th 2012 5:05 am

You declared what it is. What else can you do?
The shipping agent takes responsibility once you hand it over. That's what you are paying for.<in my opinion>

civilservant Sep 14th 2012 5:55 am

Turns out that the courier when they arrive and collect the item will be carrying an Air WayBill- which is the important thing. Customs form for free entryway be required but will have to be provided by the recipient.

civilservant Sep 14th 2012 5:56 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10280004)
His name isn't Ian. Mine is, though.

Ian

For some reason I really it an Iansbury.... busy day yesterday :p