Reload this Page >

Shipping Costs

Shipping Costs

Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Tarac1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Costs

Hi all
Has anyone shipped their home contents to the US in the past 2 years and if so how much did it cost?
I appreciate this totally depends on how much stuff and where to but just looking at what everyones been paying.
We had a quote today from removal company via Urban Bound relocation agents and it's $23k from Essex to Denver! We've got a fair amount of stuff and this was for a 40ft container thats about 70% full. It seems like an incredible amount of money and to be honest is this is what it's actually going to cost I think I'd rather just buy everything new.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Costs

Originally Posted by Tarac1
Hi all
Has anyone shipped their home contents to the US in the past 2 years and if so how much did it cost?
I appreciate this totally depends on how much stuff and where to but just looking at what everyones been paying.
We had a quote today from removal company via Urban Bound relocation agents and it's $23k from Essex to Denver! We've got a fair amount of stuff and this was for a 40ft container thats about 70% full. It seems like an incredible amount of money and to be honest is this is what it's actually going to cost I think I'd rather just buy everything new.
I don't have the exact cost but the content of our house is currently on a ship and is a similar amount to you. We went from the Home Counties to NJ and l believe it was est £6000. So your quote seems really really high!
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarac1
Hi all

Mrs Q will correct me, but I think we did it ourselves for about $5000
Old Jun 30th 2017, 2:12 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't your company paying it as part of a relocation package? I wouldn't worry about the cost if you're not paying it.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17
I don't have the exact cost but the content of our house is currently on a ship and is a similar amount to you. We went from the Home Counties to NJ and l believe it was est £6000. So your quote seems really really high!
Also that was door to door service and all the packing done by them.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

:-O we're going to Denver. Try a different company. How much stuff are you bringing? We have a 4 bedroom house but tons of stuff (no beds, no dressers, no table, etc.) is not coming so we're only looking at 600 cubic feet which is about half a 20-ft container.

In my opinion, based on research, it's not worth bringing: beds (different sizes in the US so difficult to buy sheets), electronics (not compatible) and things so big it's not worth moving (big bookshelves, that sort of thing). Obviously some of this is personal preference. I would cast a critical eye on any high volume items, even things like DVD towers and such. Unless they are sentimental or solid wood super-expensive, they'd probably cost more to bring than just buying an IKEA version in the US!

Interior US is more expensive as the cost to move your items from the port to your house adds significantly. We've been quoted £3,9xx from Pickfords, £4,2xx from PSS and £5,9xx from Bournes. This is door-to-door, packing included but insurance extra.