Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Container from UK to USA?

Shipping Container from UK to USA?

Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

fishyfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Container from UK to USA?

Hopefully this is the right forum. Please direct me elsewhere if it is not suitable.

My wife and I are in the process of moving to the states from the UK. She's from the UK and I'm USA.

Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with packing of their junk in the UK and getting it shipped to the US?

I've heard there are companies which will drop off a shipping container (I have no idea the sizes avail) and let you pack it up and then they will take it away and deliver it to wherever you move to in the states.

Can anyone recommend any companies? What about prices, and sizes and time frames?

We live in Bucks if that helps and will probably settle somewhwere on the East Coast end of summer.

I don't think we will need anything too big as we hope to sell most junk. but the wife would like to bring a few pictures, photo albums, clothes, a few books, and things that would remind her a bit of home. We know that it will arrive a couple months after we get there so nothing essential would be in it.

Any recommendations or site with this type of info on it?

-thanks fishyfish
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:19 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Container from UK to USA?

There was a thread about this very recently with lots of recommendations, sorry i don't know how to post the link but if you do a search you will find it. Good luck!
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

One of the most recent threads on the subject was mine: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245340

I eventually used Allied Pickfords. Not particularly cheap, and they made a right mess of things at the UK end, but once the shipment arrived in Houston the local agent plus Allied International in Chicago made short work of customs and it was safely delivered.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Lilywolf is on a distinguished road

Hello, I had the exact same query a few weeks ago , here's the link:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277899

I started looking around for some quotes. I emailed Crown and never got a response, however, I can say that recommendation of BINORAY was very good. The gentleman e-mailed me straight away and gave me a quote ASAP (roughly £1,400 but I can't remember exactly what the cubic footage was). I won't be needing to use them until later on this year, so couldn't give an honest answer about the actual moving, but the link is www.binoray.co.uk/ if you want to give them a try.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 7:20 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

If it's not that much, why not try UPS? I sent my stuff over in 7 huge boxes for 250 quid and it got there in 5 days. It consisted mainly of books, photos, CDs etc too. The remainder was in extra luggage when I flew over at 60 quid per case.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

fishyfish is an unknown quantity at this point

UPS is an interesting idea. Was it actually UPS or Royal Mail?

Can I ask the rough size of your boxes and their weight? Did you just go down to the normal Post Office and drop them off? or did you have to go to a depo?

Were they insured at all?

Thanks, just trying to get a rough idea of the limitations of doing it that way...

thanks,
fishyfish

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
If it's not that much, why not try UPS? I sent my stuff over in 7 huge boxes for 250 quid and it got there in 5 days. It consisted mainly of books, photos, CDs etc too. The remainder was in extra luggage when I flew over at 60 quid per case.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 12:41 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I really can't remember the weight, but they were huge boxes, and yes, they were insured. UPS collects it all from your home. They have nothing to do with Royal Mail. Once you have the rough estimation of size of boxes, and weight, you can call them and they will give you a quote. You have to generate a lot of paperwork for customs; detailing what is in each box , explaining that they are all used personal goods, and estimated value etc, which is a pain in the arse, but worth it for such a speedy service. I would definitely use them again and much easier than dealing with shipping companies who seem to insist on copies of visas. I just had to give details of my own arrival date, POE, permanent address etc. Their website is pants so found it easier just to call them up once I had a good idea of what I was shipping. Don't forget the excess baggage idea. An extra 32kg for each of you adds up to a lot of stuff too.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 2:24 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

There is an alternative to paying airline excess baggage rates. I've no personal experiences of them but friends of mine have used them without complaint.

http://www.excessbaggage.co.uk/
Old Jan 27th 2005, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
You have to generate a lot of paperwork for customs; detailing what is in each box , explaining that they are all used personal goods, and estimated value etc, which is a pain in the arse, but worth it for such a speedy service.
It's probably worth mentioning that you have to fill out the same paperwork no matter how the goods are shipped. Whether the goods are opened by customs or not depends more on whether the entire container (in the case of slow boat shipping) is selected for inspection.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I posted on one of the other links - we used Crown and were very pleased - it wasn't cheap at about 4k GBP but they packed the container and filled out most of the paperwork for us - you can share a container by getting your stuff packed into a number of boxes rather than full container.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

MHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really nice

Originally Posted by fishyfish
Hopefully this is the right forum. Please direct me elsewhere if it is not suitable.

My wife and I are in the process of moving to the states from the UK. She's from the UK and I'm USA.

Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with packing of their junk in the UK and getting it shipped to the US?

I've heard there are companies which will drop off a shipping container (I have no idea the sizes avail) and let you pack it up and then they will take it away and deliver it to wherever you move to in the states.

Can anyone recommend any companies? What about prices, and sizes and time frames? Hi there,
We will be moving from Bucks also as soon as our house sells. You don't say where you are in Bucks but we are in Aylesbury. We are using Abbywood Removals as we know the owner. His name is Sam Woods. He also offers storage which is great because we are clearing out a bit at a time. I am from USA and hubby is form London. He just got his immigration visa . We will settle in Alabama or Florida

We live in Bucks if that helps and will probably settle somewhwere on the East Coast end of summer.

I don't think we will need anything too big as we hope to sell most junk. but the wife would like to bring a few pictures, photo albums, clothes, a few books, and things that would remind her a bit of home. We know that it will arrive a couple months after we get there so nothing essential would be in it.

Any recommendations or site with this type of info on it?

-thanks fishyfish
Hi there,
We will be moving from Bucks also as soon as our house sells. You don't say where you are in Bucks but we are in Aylesbury. We are using Abbywood Removals as we know the owner. His name is Sam Woods. He also offers storage wgich is great because we are clearing out a bit at a time. I am from USA and hubby is form London. He just got his immigration visa . We will settle in Alabama or Florida. They have ten and twenty foot containers we are taking 2 mini's so will probally have the 20 footer. It is a lot cheaper to the east coast it seems. How soon will you be moving?