Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping a computer to the US temporarily - import or not?

Shipping a computer to the US temporarily - import or not?

Old Sep 8th 2017, 3:29 am
Just Joined

underthefridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping a computer to the US temporarily - import or not?

I'm a British student studying abroad in the US for a year. I am currently in the US, and I am getting my computer shipped over courtesy of my parents

However, we aren't sure whether we need to fill out the US Custom Form 3299 and a US Computer Form740, as we aren't sure whether the shipment would count as an import as it will not be permanently staying in the US, and I will be shipping it back to the UK once I finish my year studying here

Does anybody have any advice on whether this would count as an import, and if not, what forms we would need to fill out? Thanks!
Old Sep 8th 2017, 4:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a computer to the US temporarily - import or not?

You are not an immigrant and your computer is not being imported.

The matter would be much easier to deal with if you had carried it with you rather than shipping it on its own.

As "things are a lot cheaper in the US compared to the UK", I am wondering why you don't just buy a new one in the US, putting the cost of shipping your computer in the UK towards the cost of buying a new one would make the net cost even lower.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 8th 2017 at 4:15 am.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by underthefridge
I'm a British student studying abroad in the US for a year. I am currently in the US, and I am getting my computer shipped over courtesy of my parents

However, we aren't sure whether we need to fill out the US Custom Form 3299 and a US Computer Form740, as we aren't sure whether the shipment would count as an import as it will not be permanently staying in the US, and I will be shipping it back to the UK once I finish my year studying here

Does anybody have any advice on whether this would count as an import, and if not, what forms we would need to fill out? Thanks!

Don't declare the damn thing unless they ask. The American bureaucracy is a one-eyed monster, stay incognito as long as possible.

Last edited by jeepster; Sep 8th 2017 at 4:14 am.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 4:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
Don't declare the damn thing unless they ask.
The shipping documentation asks, as does the landing card that everyone arriving in the US is required to complete.

Your advice isn't in the least bit helpful as UTF is asking how to answer the question, because he has been asked!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 8th 2017 at 4:21 am.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe put the shipping cost towards a decent laptop when you arrive in the US. Then you can easily take it back and forth.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 8:17 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Unless this is a really tricked out, high spec machine, you are probably better off selling it in the UK and putting the money to the cost of a new machine in the USA. The data can be backed up to an external HD and then reconnected to a new machine when you get here.

Can't really see the point of shipping it in and shipping it back later.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Unless this is a really tricked out, high spec machine, you are probably better off selling it in the UK and putting the money to the cost of a new machine in the USA. The data can be backed up to an external HD and then reconnected to a new machine when you get here.

Can't really see the point of shipping it in and shipping it back later.
It has a UK layout keyboard, which might be easier to use?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Just bring the keyboard then and set the new PC to UK English. Or better still just buy a cheap laptop in the UK and take it with you.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:08 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My son is in the reverse situation as the OP... he's gone to the EU to study. We bought him a laptop to take and he had built his pc himself to v high spec. Honestly, laptops are cheap enough here. Go online and have a look.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cook_County
BiP has given good advice, but in any event the differences between US and UK keyboards are negligible - positions of @, :, #, and the £ (which is easily accessible via Alt 156).

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 8th 2017 at 3:36 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:39 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that a computer purchased in the UK will likely not be eligible for warranty service in the USA, and vice versa.

Apple are a notable exception -- their warranties are usually worldwide. And it really works. My daughter's US MacBook broke while we were visiting the UK. We walked into an Apple Store in Southampton and they took care of it at no charge.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You could probably take a laptop to class. Taking a desktop, not so easy.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
BiP has given good advice, but in any event the differences between US and UK keyboards are negligible - positions of @, :, #, and the £ (which is easily accessible via Alt 1̶5̶5̶ 0163).
FIFY

Also UK keyboard has 1 extra key.

I still have a UK keyboard for my docking station at home and can easily switch between the two. You could also get a hybrid laptop and use the on-screen touch keyboard.

You can also buy key stickers if you really want to

https://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Laminate...ickers+british

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 8th 2017 at 3:24 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
FIUFY .....
FIFY

You certainly didn't "fix" it, I checked before I posted (even though I use "Alt 156" frequently), and you obviously just jumped to the wrong conclusion!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 8th 2017 at 3:36 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
FIFY

You certainly didn't "fix" it, I checked before I posted (even though I use "Alt 155" frequently), and you obviously just jumped to the wrong conclusion!
You're all wrong. On my keyboard, it's ALT-156.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.