Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping company vs. the post office vs FedEx?

Shipping company vs. the post office vs FedEx?

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Lola_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping company vs. the post office vs FedEx?

I am moving the US and need to ship 1 quite large box there (approx. 23 x 14 x 12 inches).

I was wondering due to the size and possible weight is it best to just use the post office, a shipping company or something like FedEx or UPS? I am not really concerned about customs or charges as its mainly personal belongings like documents, books, figurines etc.

I was going to use the PO as it's just one big box but I thought I would ask for any ideas or recommendations out here first to see if there was possibly a more cost effective way.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Lola_P; Aug 23rd 2016 at 2:52 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping company vs. the post office vs FedEx?

Have you considered taking it with you as 'checked baggage' on the plane? Your box is somewhat smaller than the 100L holdall that I travelled to and fro with and was considerably cheaper paying for an extra bag than shipping stuff.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks zzrmark and most definitely, I am already traveling with 3 suitcases and that's why the box will need to be shipped.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Post office is likely to be cheapest option, if not in a hurry I would go with them.

If in a hurry or want better tracking Fedex or UPS but likely cost a small fortune.

Call the airline and ask what their excess baggage policy is, they may allow you to take more then 3 you have for a fee, then compare that fee with the post, fedex etc.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Ok, thanks.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

UPS isn't too bad price-wise for parcels, and you get the benefit of one company being responsible for the parcel from pick up to delivery, with parcel tracking so you can see where it is.

There have been a number of horror stories posted on BE of things getting lost in the mail and the sending side swearing they handed it over and the receiving side having no trace of it.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:29 am
Just Joined

OK thanks...good to know.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I used Parcel2go, they block buy from all the major parcel companies, so imagine you get a quote for 60-70 pounds on the Parcelforce site, you will find Parcel2go will quote 30-40.
I shipped a lot of boxes this way, all arrived in good time and no problems at all.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Perfect...I will give it a shot. Thx.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Try Transglobal Express they have space with all the carriers and are always much cheaper with UPS than if I book direct.