Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Companies Hull to US

Shipping Companies Hull to US

Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice
Default Shipping Companies Hull to US

Does anyone have any recommended shipping companies for Yorkshire, Hull to the US for household goods? Just getting estimates. Also, who to avoid and what costs might be say for a 20ft container or 40ft container?

Thanks
Old Feb 25th 2012, 12:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Companies Hull to US

Don't know about from Hull, but it appears you're heading to Texas?

Most of the big companies will cover the whole UK, so you should be good to find a bunch of threads on recommendations from people moving to Texas, mostly Houston/Dallas/Austin area.

Who ever gets sub-contracted for the US end is who you'll have to look out for and check against the moving scam site.

Cost, depends on content, if you want door to door packing/unpacking etc, etc.

From reading past threads, seems to be 3-8K GBP.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Thanks Bob very helpfull. Just needed a range.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Break it down into it's components which are: trucking from your home to UK docks, export documentation, ocean frieight, US Customs clearance, trucking to your home in the USA. The variables are the service element which is packing and loading / unloading. If anyone refuses to give you a breakdown of costs walk away. There is little difference between a 20 and 40 foot container. From USA to UK I just paid $595 road haulage from our place in Central VA, $2150 ocean freight, $285 docs, 470 UK pounds haulage from Southhampton to West Midlands. We did all the loading unloading
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:54 am
Account Closed

javacocoa is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm wondering if anyone would like to share a container shipping from the midlands UK to USA? I've just received an outrageous quote from Anglo Pacific, and they aren't budging too much on cost, even though we are taking no furniture! The total is about 350 cu ft. We'd like to move June/July time and the import location could be Washington DC, Texas or California. I will be getting other quotes, but the idea of paying £5850 for a handful of 'stuff' sickens me! Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

I've just been looking at exactly the same. The price I got quoted taking no furniture was also £3850.we wanted to ship a lot of the children's keepsakes so they had some familiar things with them, but I agree prices are hideous
Think I'm going to send a few boxes through the mail bit by bit as it does seem cheaper.

Janet
Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

I have just checked our quote/bill and we paid £3855.00 to have a 20ft container, everything packed and unpacked, customs charges (excluding addition ones upon arrival) and taking away packaging once unpacked. We did have an additional charge from customs of $195 for an x-ray, but we were warned this could happen. This was from York (UK) to Windermere, Florida (next to Orlando). We used GB Liners in the UK, they arranged for Coco's International Removers for the US side. They were fantastic, they provided us with updates regularly and made sure we knew where our container was at all times I would highly recommend them

Vicki

EDIT: This was last September. We booked it in the August
Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

You moved from York, great..... we live near selby and hopefully moving to longwood/apopka area late summer depending on visa processing times.
How are you settling in?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janeth8711
You moved from York, great..... we live near selby and hopefully moving to longwood/apopka area late summer depending on visa processing times.
How are you settling in?
Wow small world Apopka is 'just up the road'

We have settled in pretty well. A few things weren't as we planned such as costs of things, we ended up sacrificing things such as a pool to get into a good school area but I do love it here The weather is superb

When you move over give me a shout and we can get together for a cuppa

What visa are you coming over on? My husband has a H1B, myself and the kids have H4's.

Vicki x
Old Mar 19th 2012, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Wow fantastic. that would be great
my husband is a US citizen so were filing the I-130, only started the petition in feb so will be a few months yet.
can't wait to get over there, we've sold our house and moving in with the mother in law till we get approved but its all good.
were only bringing personal items with us and buying everything else when we get a house.
kids can't wait as there grandad and aunt live apooka/sanford area so at least we have family there. Cannot wait to get some Florida sunshine