Reload this Page >

Shipping Companies

Shipping Companies

Old Oct 17th 2010, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Elizabeth16 is on a distinguished road
Red face Shipping Companies

So many thoughts all w/e!
Children are sorting their bedrooms out in a frenzy of activity (should have told them we were moving years ago for that result!).
Have given myself a 2 week period to get the house into a semblance of 'perfection' before calling in the estate agents.
Do you think that this is a good time of year to sell? Is hoping that I would have sold by January realistic? We live in a relatively cheap area - it is up and coming, rather than come and gone.
What is the best way to sell items here (both large like tables units etc) and small (toys clothes)?
Is ebay a good way (have never sold on there)? Do garage sales actually attract people or are they too dependent on weather etc)?
I am not really interested in the best price - just mainly people who will come and remove the items. I just want to get moving!
Has anyone any experience with shipping companies? I will be looking at taking minimal stuff (toys, clothes, bedding etc). Maybe 8 - 12 tea-chest size boxes? Which companies are reasonable and efficient?
I am happy to do all the packing myself. Where can you get packing boxes from? I am in Melbourne - so if anyone has any tips - I would be incredibly appreciative.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Companies

Hi,

For selling stuff... We used Gumtree to sell our two sofas, fridge, BBQ, and a few baby things. If you are realistic about the price to start with, they go quickly and it doesn't cost anything. Everyone paid with cash, too so there was no waiting around for Paypal. Decide beforehand if you are going to let them haggle (we didn't - the price was low enough) We also did all the showing/selling out of the garage as we didn't like the idea of strangers in the house. All you need is an account (free) and a digital camera (optional)

Originally Posted by Elizabeth16
Children are sorting their bedrooms out in a frenzy of activity (should have told them we were moving years ago for that result!).
Have given myself a 2 week period to get the house into a semblance of 'perfection' before calling in the estate agents.
Do you think that this is a good time of year to sell? Is hoping that I would have sold by January realistic? We live in a relatively cheap area - it is up and coming, rather than come and gone.
What is the best way to sell items here (both large like tables units etc) and small (toys clothes)?
Is ebay a good way (have never sold on there)? Do garage sales actually attract people or are they too dependent on weather etc)?
I am not really interested in the best price - just mainly people who will come and remove the items. I just want to get moving!
Has anyone any experience with shipping companies? I will be looking at taking minimal stuff (toys, clothes, bedding etc). Maybe 8 - 12 tea-chest size boxes? Which companies are reasonable and efficient?
I am happy to do all the packing myself. Where can you get packing boxes from? I am in Melbourne - so if anyone has any tips - I would be incredibly appreciative.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth16
Spring, Summer is always one of the better times to sell....and getting your house ready before the Real Estate Agents arrive then all the better....Shipping...phone around get at least 3 quotes....then haggle if you can..we did and got a good price....we sold a lot of our items on Gum Tree....even our car....try not to let the Estate Agents know you are returning to the U.K....good luck...
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks
I have seen 'Gumtree' mentioned a few times - will definitely check it out. Am suffering from the "want to do it all and want to do now' syndrome.
Don't want everything to fall through from something that I have forgotten.
Should probably start to sleep more at night!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

LisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really nice

Remember that clothes and shoes are cheap in the UK - maybe cheaper to buy new once you get there, rather than ship. Don't know about prices in Aus.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:04 am
Just Joined

My Father told me that you can kit a child out for school for 10 pounds!!! My son's uniform here nearly caused me to take out a loan!! Thanks