British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping companies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-companies-514289/)

IceBrit Feb 14th 2008 11:32 am

Shipping companies

Hiya,

I'm hoping for a recommendation for a shipping company. I have already looked through the search but so far, not found what I need.

We'll probably need a 20ft container from UK to NY. It's the customer service that's the most important thing and to have our things packed and delivered safely and on time that 's most important. We're having the quickest move and I'll only have a month and a half to sort everything out, from selling the house, car etc. to finding it all on the other side.

Thank you lovely people :thumbup:

basementwaj Feb 14th 2008 1:25 pm

Re: Shipping companies

Originally Posted by IceBrit (Post 5931394)
Hiya,

I'm hoping for a recommendation for a shipping company. I have already looked through the search but so far, not found what I need.

We'll probably need a 20ft container from UK to NY. It's the customer service that's the most important thing and to have our things packed and delivered safely and on time that 's most important. We're having the quickest move and I'll only have a month and a half to sort everything out, from selling the house, car etc. to finding it all on the other side.

try the removal group... pretty good.

wisewol Feb 14th 2008 3:17 pm

were using Curtiss removals and so far they seem efficient, but they come in on Tuesday to pack :eek: so will no more then. Cost is £4172 for 20ft container from south East England near Gatwick to Jacksonville. that is a full pack service as its not advised you pack your own. If you want their number etc just let me know

sambapink Feb 14th 2008 3:32 pm

We used EuroUSA... My husbands company paid for the move so have no idea on costs... but they were so good... I was emailed and updated regularly from both the UK and the US girls dealing with us... Very impressed.. And sincerely best of luck with your move :)

Bob Feb 14th 2008 5:09 pm

http://www.movingscam.com/

Just check the company against that site, especially who's been contracted to do the work at the other end.

There's a few recommendations in the moving back to UK section too...

dunroving Feb 14th 2008 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 5932430)
We used EuroUSA... My husbands company paid for the move so have no idea on costs... but they were so good... I was emailed and updated regularly from both the UK and the US girls dealing with us... Very impressed.. And sincerely best of luck with your move :)

I used Wheaton Worldwide when I returned to the US as I'd used them US-UK previously (they're American). They contracted with EuroUSA at the UK end and they were fine.

Jmaster911 Feb 15th 2008 10:09 pm

DO NOT Use Excess baggage

nooka Feb 18th 2008 8:49 am

Originally Posted by IceBrit (Post 5931394)
Hiya,

Hi IceBrit,
When are you going? We are also going to NY and hoping to get our stuff picked up on Maundy Thursday. I have only just started to look at shipping companines so if you haev any good experiences let me know! Good luck on your move :)

IceBrit Feb 18th 2008 10:41 am

Originally Posted by nooka (Post 5947959)
Hi IceBrit,
When are you going? We are also going to NY and hoping to get our stuff picked up on Maundy Thursday. I have only just started to look at shipping companines so if you haev any good experiences let me know! Good luck on your move :)

We're going on Monday to look around for a house and then we'll move in the first week of April. I've contacted one so far and I'm still waiting for a reply from there. Was going to call 2 more this afternoon so I'll let you know how I get on.

Whereabouts will you be living? Best of luck to you as well :thumbup:

nooka Feb 18th 2008 11:07 am

We have rented a place in Millburn (on Englishmum's recommendation!) and will use that as a base to explore a few neighbourhoods in both NJ and Queens. My husband will go out on the 25th March, and we are joining him a week later (he's going to do the initial scouting because we think the children will get bored at traipsing around). If we'd known it was going to take his company so long to get things sorted we would have done an earlier rekke, but the best laid plans!

Deedee13 Feb 18th 2008 11:25 am

EURO USA!!!! well if anyone has a complete bedroom set, a bike, tramploline, parts to the motorcycle, brand new bedding, a tv let me know because mine was all missing when i received it. NEVER AGAIN!! I do have a picture of a naked woman that doesnt belong to me tho oh and they wanted to leave a couch with me that i had never seen before in my life...bit tatty, so i let them find another home for it...is that a crappy moving company or just plain bad luck???

ian1976 Feb 18th 2008 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 5948518)
EURO USA!!!! well if anyone has a complete bedroom set, a bike, tramploline, parts to the motorcycle, brand new bedding, a tv let me know because mine was all missing when i received it. NEVER AGAIN!! I do have a picture of a naked woman that doesnt belong to me tho oh and they wanted to leave a couch with me that i had never seen before in my life...bit tatty, so i let them find another home for it...is that a crappy moving company or just plain bad luck???

Ouch! Did you share a container with someone or have your own??? Hard to imagine that happening with your own container?

IceBrit Feb 18th 2008 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 5948518)

Oh my goodness, that's just awful. So how have they explained this to you??? That's just appalling and exactly what I've been so scared of when trying to find a decent company :unsure:

vegas Feb 18th 2008 2:50 pm

don't use White and Company they took 4 months to deliver and didn't give a monkeys. very stressful experience

wisewol Feb 18th 2008 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 5949213)
don't use White and Company they took 4 months to deliver and didn't give a monkeys. very stressful experience

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH :eek: We have them or a subsidury of them called Curtiss coming to load up tomorrow :eek: really hope it does not take that long for us although I have to say I already have my reservations, why is the salessman always so good and the follow up in the office more worryful. Things always seem to change once they have your well earned cash in their grubby hands