Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Companies

Shipping Companies

Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of
Default Shipping Companies

We used International Baggage for our shipping from the UK to the US and it has been a nightmare from the moment my property was taken. The pre sales and packing guys were superb, but once they had hold of my goods the communication has been awful.

I may be a bit of a control freak but I like to know what is happening with MY property. For example, I had to chase two weeks after the goods were taken on what was status was. Only then did they let me know it was due to be shipped that week. Once the goods have arrived in the US, the agent in Philli is the most disorganized and non English speaking organization I have ever dealt with and that includes HSBC and their Indian call center!!!!

I know I may be expecting a lot but I do expect somebody who speaks good English and more importantly understands English in an English speaking country without me having to speak at the speed of a 5 year old for them to keep up with me. The whole office seems to be fresh of the eastern European boat and is still learning the language. If I had emigrated to India or Poland fair enough, the onus would be on me but we are in the US people!! My stuff has been stuck up there now for two weeks and they can't seem to get their head around the fact that I don't want to take delivery until the 1st March. Other things that have got on my nerves

1) They were asking for a delivery address when the ship docked but couldn't give me a delivery date (I am moving on the next 3 weeks, so the delivery address might change, give me a date and I will give you an address!)
2) I want proof for the $200 customs charges I have been charged, they are having trouble with this request.
3) They can't understand why I don't want the goods now, my response, until 1 week ago you couldn't tell me when the stuff would clear customs, now it has you want to off load it within a week - not happening.
4) I don't want 1 month’s storage, I want to be charged the storage so that I take delivery on the 1st March - this is not rocket science, charge me by the day (and yes they do have a daily rate or so the UK agent told me).

OK Rant Over - In short the company has been poor but I am guessing that either that’s the way it goes when shipping internationally OR I expect to much !!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Companies

next time i move i swear to god i am selling EVERYTHING that cant fit into ONE SUITCASE!!!! sentimental is going out of the window, cheap is going out of the window common sense is coming back to nest!!

REMOVAL companies get too much power over me, and i am totally not in control, too much having to rely on someone else. What amazes me tho is when u phone and ask for a quote they are on the phone every damn day, when they have ur belongings u never hear a frigging word!!!

SELL IT I SAY!! what cant be sold give it away.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's always the problem, seeing who a company contracts too on the other side of things...hindsight, wonderful ain't it...
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

I want to complain to the UK Arm but I am wondering how useful this will actually be !!!