British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping co wants STAMPED visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-co-wants-stamped-visa-40550/)

Bea Aug 3rd 2001 6:57 pm

I will be moving from Canada to the US. The shipping company I have contacted will
only load my stuff if they have a copy of a STAMPED visa. And, do I understand
correctly, this only happens at the border? They suggested I cross the border, get my
K1 stamped, and come right back to handle moving my stuff. This seems ludicrous. What
have other people done?

I wouldn't be married yet if I crossed just for this purpose, so I wouldn't have to
worry about parole yet, right?

Thanks in advance for your help, Beatrice

Sue Aug 3rd 2001 8:02 pm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Except that a K1 is good for ONE ENTRY ONLY. You cannot get it processed on first
entry, leave then re-enter on it. Once you enter using it you have activated it.
Don't do it.

Cannot help with moving co problem, didn't have any problem myself.

>

Cmagill Aug 3rd 2001 8:30 pm

I shipped from Vancouver. I had to fax them a copy of the stamped visa. They just
held my stuff until I did that.

Jill

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Okonami Yaki Aug 3rd 2001 9:57 pm

[email protected] (Bea) We had used "Atlas Vanlines" as well as "Yamanote" --
both are door-to-door shippers. Both require photocopies of the ID page and the visa
page from the Passport(unstmaped). Yamanote is also willing to move without the visa
page if the person provides roundtrip ticket copy. This happens to people from the
orient who come to the US for a 2-3 month period (Visawaiver stay) and have to ship
their stuff ahead of travel. Ofcourse, you must also provide a declaration of
contents of the boxes.

>
    >
    >
    >
You may be misinterpreting the phrase "stamped visa" -- in the mover's vernacular
this could have simply meant, a visa stamped in your passport. This business of
*pressure sensitive adhesives*. machine readable visas and *pasting* instead of
*stamping* may not have crept into the common speech yet. You will a "stamped" visa
in your passport after you go through the visa interview at the US consulate and they
approve your case.

>

Onigiri Aug 3rd 2001 11:00 pm

>
    >
He meant to say "you will have a "stamped" visa...etc..etc. after you go through the
visa interview at the US consulate". In the old day they used to stamp visas, now
they simply paste them on.

Bea Aug 4th 2001 2:10 am

The fellow was pretty clear that he meant stamped at the port of entry
- but your postings have been very helpful. I will investigate further. Thank you!

"Onigiri" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > into the common speech yet. You will a "stamped" visa in your passport after you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > go through the visa interview at the US consulate and they approve your case.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

Bea Aug 4th 2001 2:12 am

So they really do mean stamped at the POE? I thought maybe the guy wasn't as familiar
with the K1 as with other visas...

"cmagill" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I will be moving from Canada to the US. The shipping company I have contacted[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > will only load my stuff if they have a copy of a STAMPED visa. And, do I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > understand correctly, this only happens at the border? They suggested I cross the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > border, get my K1 stamped, and come right back to handle moving my stuff. This[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > seems ludicrous. What have other people done?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I wouldn't be married yet if I crossed just for this purpose, so I wouldn't have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to worry about parole yet, right?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks in advance for your help, Beatrice[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

>