British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping charge for CU FT more than the real amount (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-charge-cu-ft-more-than-real-amount-712698/)

londonLA Apr 9th 2011 4:24 pm

Shipping charge for CU FT more than the real amount

I shipped my items from the UK to the USA. The moving charged me for shipping 380 CU FT.

Because the contained was inspected at US customs I had to pay for my part of the container. I was charged for 250 CU FT.

So I see a difference of 130 CU FT between the movers and the customs measurements.

Have the shipping company just ripped me off ? Or is there some other things I need to consider ?

Thanks

Manc Apr 9th 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Shipping charge for CU FT more than the real amount

there is probably a cubic foot minimum charge also.

no matter if you have 150 CU FT or 379 CU FT in goods, the minimum charge is for 380 CUft.

lansbury Apr 9th 2011 4:37 pm

When the shipping company quote they estimate the amount of space. Until everything is packed up and the container loaded they don't know for sure how much space will be used.

Our shippers said we needed 75% of a 20ft container, so we did a sole use of one. Good job we did because when it was all packed we had filled it up.

In your case either the shippers over estimated or customs under estimated how much your stuff took up. Or it was somewhere between the two.

anotherlimey Apr 10th 2011 1:33 am

Originally Posted by londonLA (Post 9295187)
I shipped my items from the UK to the USA. The moving charged me for shipping 380 CU FT.

Because the contained was inspected at US customs I had to pay for my part of the container. I was charged for 250 CU FT.

So I see a difference of 130 CU FT between the movers and the customs measurements.

Have the shipping company just ripped me off ? Or is there some other things I need to consider ?

Thanks

Customs charge a flat rate per container, which the shipper might split among the owners of the stuff in the container; i.e. Customs don't charge for X% of a container, this is your shipper pulling a fast one.

ottotheboar Apr 10th 2011 12:24 pm

It is a good example of one of the drawbacks of shipping LTL (less than load), As mentioned in a previous post Customs charges are per container as is port handling. Some shippers tack on ridiculous charges knowing that they have your goods and you are likely to pay up as you just want your personal effects.

anotherlimey Apr 11th 2011 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by londonLA (Post 9295187)

Thanks

After speaking to some industry people, this practice of charging for a non-existent inspection (which is probably the case) might actually be illegal.

Ask to see the Customs paperwork and invoice.