Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

shipping cars back to England

shipping cars back to England

Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

scliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nice
Default shipping cars back to England

ok I know this is a little back to front but has anyone tried shipping a car from Canada or America back to England.
How musch did it cost and what taxes are involved

I have a colleague that wants an old VW split screen from california to ship back to the UK and we are both wondering what it will cost Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping cars back to England

shipping ain't the problem, it's getting it on the road that might be.

there's been a few threads over the years, nothing recent but you might have luck finding them, I think Ray used to ship muscle cars or pick ups over to the UK so you might search his posts.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:19 am
Banned

Koolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by scliffe
ok I know this is a little back to front but has anyone tried shipping a car from Canada or America back to England.

I have a colleague that wants an old VW split screen from california to ship back to the UK and we are both wondering what it will cost Thanks

freight could cost you around 900 quid. you need to check with HM customs ad then identify import costs/taxes , maybe even seek opinons from DVLA

cheers
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

h0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Koolio
freight could cost you around 900 quid. you need to check with HM customs ad then identify import costs/taxes , maybe even seek opinons from DVLA

cheers

It all depends on the condition of the car. if its driveable its a lot cheaper if you can find a roll on roll off ship (available from some ports). if not it has to go in a container and that costs more. You used to pay less tax on classic vehicles but I heard that the government stopped that on campers because so many were being imported recently. You'll also have to pay the dreaded v.a.t so I'd get an invoice for a lower amount I know someone that could probably help with shipping. PM me if you want his contact details
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

Originally Posted by scliffe

I looked into this when I lived in Kuwait a few years ago. Exotica is much cheaper there, so I was thinking about buying something and driving it home (an epic trip to tell people about in years to come).

Well, the most important thing that I remember was that the importer (me, in this case) must own the vehicle for 12 months prior to import to avoid import duties. Of course, things may have changed in the last five years or so.