Reload this Page >

Shipping a box of personal effects back to Denver

Shipping a box of personal effects back to Denver

Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:52 am
Just Joined

dawiemac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping a box of personal effects back to Denver

Hi All,

I'm headed back to Denver in a few weeks (have been back in the UK for almost a year - family stuff etc.)

Now that all the airlines seem to be offering only 1 bag free baggage, I am looking to ship/air freight back an extra box/bag of clothes (20-30kg). Can anyone recommend a good company to use? The 2nd bag cost with the airlines is reasonable, but that allowance will be taken up with my skiboards/boots

Have been looking at DHL etc. Can anyone recommend from personal experience?

thanks

david
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a box of personal effects back to Denver

This thread may be useful:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629133
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I shipped a computer via DHL for similar reasons; the mate of mine who was kind enough to take care of the shipping booked that via parcels2go.com as you don't want to pay the walk-up rate (in that case you might be better off paying the extra baggage fee).

It very much depends on the airline if it's more cost effective to ship via DHL or pay the extra baggage fee. Most airline have halfway reasonable fees for the second piece of checked in baggage and only start charging a lot once you're talking three or more pieces. Also check if you get a discount for paying for the additional baggage during online checkin instead of the airport - Virgin does this and the second piece of checked in luggage is a lot cheaper than sending it via courier.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We found this to be true when my daughter flew back to the UK this summer. I know its going the wrong way for you. However, after checking how much it would cost to ship back, it was cheaper to spend $50 for the extra luggage on her flight back.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Unless the clothing is very lightweight and the box very big as a result (which increases the 'volumetric weight'), paying for a second suitcase seems to be the cheaper option in most cases; once you're into 'third suitcase' territory, the couriers tend to be cheaper.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:09 am
Just Joined

dawiemac is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, much appreciated
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get that vacuum seal bags to shrink them down....and errr, the mail, you can still send by sea to the US for very cheap, 10-16 weeks though.

The US doesn't have sea any more though, so wonder what they do with all those boats, sink them?