Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping assistance...

Shipping assistance...

Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:09 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping assistance...

Yes I know this has been discussed here numerous times, but I am having serious trouble getting answers from shipping companies ( let alone finding one that will email me back! )

Over in the UK, I was given a very nice pram, a babystyle lux 3 in 1, theyre rather expensive and I would love to have it for my son, my problem is its such a bulky size that the quotes I have received top over 300 quid to ship it here to the US. It doesnt weigh much, but I am beginning to question whether it is worth it to ship it... does anyone know of or has used a company that doesn't charge an arm and a leg and has a decent shipping time for overseas? Thanks.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:56 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping assistance...

No useful advice, I'm afraid, but possibly some useful info.

AFAICT, international shipping works on what's called "volumetric weight". Basically, they take the volume and multiply b x pounds per cubic foot, to get the volumetric weight. Then they use whichever is the higher of that or the real weight.

There's a calculator here. It seems to work on 4.7kg per cubic foot. I just had a go with, for the sake of argument, 4' x 3' 1.5' and got a chargeable weight of 85.2kg.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:28 pm
Banned

SunnyMeadow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
Yes I know this has been discussed here numerous times, but I am having serious trouble getting answers from shipping companies ( let alone finding one that will email me back! )

Over in the UK, I was given a very nice pram, a babystyle lux 3 in 1, theyre rather expensive and I would love to have it for my son, my problem is its such a bulky size that the quotes I have received top over 300 quid to ship it here to the US. It doesnt weigh much, but I am beginning to question whether it is worth it to ship it... does anyone know of or has used a company that doesn't charge an arm and a leg and has a decent shipping time for overseas? Thanks.
Why not sell it in the UK and then buy one the same or similar in the USA?
If you are that picky about your pram, maybe you will have to pay the cost to ship it to the USA.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:00 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunnyMeadow
Why not sell it in the UK and then buy one the same or similar in the USA?
If you are that picky about your pram, maybe you will have to pay the cost to ship it to the USA.

Trust me I am not picky about what pram my son uses... but to be given a gift so extravagant, I feel bad not using it. I spoke with my fiance earlier today and we decided to put it on ebay, someone else out there can use it better and cheaper than I can.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering, ap.. can he bring it over next time he comes? Or will he be loaded with his stuff?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:34 am
Questy Questionson

Originally Posted by meauxna
Just wondering, ap.. can he bring it over next time he comes? Or will he be loaded with his stuff?

He might be able to, but it is bulky... Most of his belongings are all ready here... his mother sold his guitar which was going to be his extra baggage claim when he came back ( she swears the neighbor robbed her of it ) but oh well... when we figure out the airline hes using we will make sure to ask if he can bring it.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:38 am
Just Joined

HSHMN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - can you bring it back with you and son if you are planning a trip to Uk? airlines will take infant and baby stuff on the hold no probs.. we took a massive 3 wheeler on the plane with us last year no problems and brought over a v bulky car seat last month to the States..
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:43 am
Questy Questionson

Originally Posted by HSHMN
Hi - can you bring it back with you and son if you are planning a trip to Uk? airlines will take infant and baby stuff on the hold no probs.. we took a massive 3 wheeler on the plane with us last year no problems and brought over a v bulky car seat last month to the States..
really? the babystyle is pretty big though...http://www.lilimay.com/images/babyst...package_sm.jpg This is the one we have.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi
It shouldnt be a problem if you have booked an infant place on a plane they accept their paraphanalia, never come across one that doesnt. We took our huge 3 wheel Jane Powertrack to Greece last yr no probs, just moved to States and had a bulky car seat with us. I know a friend that took a pram/carry cot/car seat with them to Florida for a holiday with their 4 month old! Its just a case of contacting the airline I think..Good Luck!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:39 pm
Questy Questionson

Hi
It shouldnt be a problem if you have booked an infant place on a plane they accept their paraphanalia, never come across one that doesnt. We took our huge 3 wheel Jane Powertrack to Greece last yr no probs, just moved to States and had a bulky car seat with us. I know a friend that took a pram/carry cot/car seat with them to Florida for a holiday with their 4 month old! Its just a case of contacting the airline I think..Good Luck!
Oh he wont have the baby booked with him as the baby is here in the US with me.

Ebay it is!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

unless you plan a trip over soon? bring it back then..?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:55 pm
Questy Questionson

unless you plan a trip over soon? bring it back then..?

fundage have none for that as of yet, maybe in a year