Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Animals

Shipping Animals

Old Jun 25th 2012, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

seqouyah212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Animals

Does anyone on this site have experience of shipping pets from the US to UK without using an agency? I am trying to do this myself to save costs and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. Any info would be gratefully received. Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2012, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Whatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping Animals

Hi, we are flying to the UK in July with our dog. We went to the DEFRA website, and found it very useful. We are flying out of Newark on Continental/United as they seem to be the most informed and helpful. We call them with our questions. Matilda (our dog) has had her European Chip and her rabies shot, and will be getting tested for tapeworm four days before we leave. The paperwork is quite confusing, and our vet has not done this before, but it can be downloaded from the DEFRA website.

Please let me know if you need any other information, good luck !!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thank you for your response. I have some information from DEFRA and did contact United but they said they don't participate in DEFRA so now I am really confused I have received some quotes from per shipping agencies but they are soooooo expensive.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Whatshername, are you using an agency to ship and if not, do you have any info on the customs requirements when your dog lands in the UK? I have looked online but can't find anything regarding that.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:01 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seqouyah212
Whatshername, are you using an agency to ship and if not, do you have any info on the customs requirements when your dog lands in the UK? I have looked online but can't find anything regarding that.
Customs form is C5 if memory serves me well
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Whatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really nice

Hi, we are using a customs broker (it is mandetory) - as we are using United we have to use their broker. It is about $600 depending on time of day of flight, etc. The name of the company for United is PBS International. They have a website, if you just type in PBS Internatal, and you should find it.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Also, we are not using an agency. The DEFRA website is very good, it details exactly the steps you have to take. We bought a large shipping kennel, and Matilda is getting used to going in there, lots of treats and she actually sleeps in the kennel as her bed.