British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping Animals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-animals-762807/)

seqouyah212 Jun 25th 2012 2:21 pm

Shipping Animals

Does anyone on this site have experience of shipping pets from the US to UK without using an agency? I am trying to do this myself to save costs and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. Any info would be gratefully received. Thanks :)

Whatshername Jun 25th 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Shipping Animals

Hi, we are flying to the UK in July with our dog. We went to the DEFRA website, and found it very useful. We are flying out of Newark on Continental/United as they seem to be the most informed and helpful. We call them with our questions. Matilda (our dog) has had her European Chip and her rabies shot, and will be getting tested for tapeworm four days before we leave. The paperwork is quite confusing, and our vet has not done this before, but it can be downloaded from the DEFRA website.

Please let me know if you need any other information, good luck !!

seqouyah212 Jun 25th 2012 3:09 pm

Hi, thank you for your response. I have some information from DEFRA and did contact United but they said they don't participate in DEFRA so now I am really confused :confused: I have received some quotes from per shipping agencies but they are soooooo expensive.

seqouyah212 Jun 25th 2012 4:36 pm

Whatshername, are you using an agency to ship and if not, do you have any info on the customs requirements when your dog lands in the UK? I have looked online but can't find anything regarding that.

pennylessinindia Jun 25th 2012 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by seqouyah212 (Post 10138220)
Whatshername, are you using an agency to ship and if not, do you have any info on the customs requirements when your dog lands in the UK? I have looked online but can't find anything regarding that.

Customs form is C5 if memory serves me well

Whatshername Jun 26th 2012 2:13 pm

Hi, we are using a customs broker (it is mandetory) - as we are using United we have to use their broker. It is about $600 depending on time of day of flight, etc. The name of the company for United is PBS International. They have a website, if you just type in PBS Internatal, and you should find it.

Hope this helps.

Whatshername Jun 26th 2012 2:15 pm

Also, we are not using an agency. The DEFRA website is very good, it details exactly the steps you have to take. We bought a large shipping kennel, and Matilda is getting used to going in there, lots of treats and she actually sleeps in the kennel as her bed.