Shipping Air rifles to the US

Wikiposts

Shipping Air rifles to the US

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:24 am
Just Joined

OllyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Air rifles to the US

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. I'm new to the forum and still finding my way around the site. Apologies if it isn't.

Is it possible to ship air rifles to the US from the UK? My other half collects them and would like to take a few of them with us when we go over on an extended break. Apparently, they are all different so shoot slightly differently. All are UK legal. Does anyone know of a courier/shipping company who would ship them? We are going by boat so can't take them with us.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:52 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Air rifles to the US

Air rifles aren't subject to regulation in the US, unless they're considered to be imitations, in which case they have to have an orange tip. There's no import permit requirement for air rifles as they aren't considered to be firearms, the US definition of a firearm says that it expels a projectile "by the action of an explosive".

Note that California State law has a variety of restrictions as does NYC law.

The difference between an imitation, airsoft and airgun is hard to describe, I suggest you read the CFR for more information: http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/15/1150.1

Essentially an imitation might be an airsoft, but maybe not, but an air rifle is generally neither.

You can ship them by UPS or any common carrier really that will accept them, you can send them through the mail if you want. There are no export restrictions under UK law (assuming they are under the 12 ft/lb limit) and no import restrictions under US law (other than toy safety standards). Other than import duty obviously but mark them as personal effects.

Last edited by Steve_; Oct 23rd 2013 at 5:56 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:35 am
Just Joined

OllyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Shipping Air rifles to the US

Thanks Steve