Shipping agent required! Essex to Houston

Shipping agent required! Essex to Houston

Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

croaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping agent required! Essex to Houston

A very good morning to you all,
my first post and a cry for help!!
Looking to ship a 20' container of personnel effects from Essex, England to Houston, Texas, USA in the next week and a half and would value your recommendations as much as any "don't touch with a barge pole" cautions!
Looking for a door to door service although unpacking at the US end will be into storage!
Who did you use??
What did it cost??
Any unforeseen, undisclosed fees along the way??
What did you pay for insurance??
Do's and Don'ts

Your input is appreciated, thankyou
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:40 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping agent required! Essex to Houston

We are using Shipit.co.uk and it hasn't finished yet, so I can't comment on whether or not we are happy. We chose the door to door service and they can deliver to a house or to storage. (It's not yet clear whose job it is to physically move it off the truck and into its destination, though.)

It cost about 4,200 pounds for 412 cubic feet (think it was 12 cubic metres) of stuff, including 4% insurance on anything we wanted to insure.

The collection in London was quick, efficient and professional.

Hidden costs:

1) 20 pound fumigation fee for each pallet-worth of goods (five pallets for us)

2) Tax on the insurance, I think it was something like 5% of the cost of insurance, which was 4% of stated value. So a 100pound item would have an extra 4 pounds insurance cost, if I wanted it insured, and then 20p in tax on that insurance.

Also since we packed our own goods the insurance only covers loss or theft, not damage, which is a bit of a ripoff.

There was something else I was going to say but I forgot; if it comes back I will add it.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

We used Anglo-Pacific for exactly the same move (Essex to Houston) in a 20ft container. I think it was about GBP 3,600 but can't remember exactly. (I'm sure I posted it on a previous thread). Not sure whether you'll be able to do it that quickly. They told us we had to give a certain amount of notice to the local authority to put the container on the street etc.

Good luck!

Doug
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pickfords, 20ft container London to west coast including insurance and they did all the packing an unpacking £4200.

Very pleased arrived earlier than they said it would take and the packers were very helpful at both ends.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Oop - should've checked first - Anglo-Pacific were GBP 4,201 door to door including packing and unpacking (they can do storage at either end). We didn't buy insurance and nothing was damaged. We didn't get any extra customs charges at this end either.

Cheers,

Doug.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by avanutria
We are using Shipit.co.uk and it hasn't finished yet, so I can't comment on whether or not we are happy. We chose the door to door service and they can deliver to a house or to storage. (It's not yet clear whose job it is to physically move it off the truck and into its destination, though.)

It cost about 4,200 pounds for 412 cubic feet (think it was 12 cubic metres) of stuff, including 4% insurance on anything we wanted to insure.

The collection in London was quick, efficient and professional.

Hidden costs:

1) 20 pound fumigation fee for each pallet-worth of goods (five pallets for us)

2) Tax on the insurance, I think it was something like 5% of the cost of insurance, which was 4% of stated value. So a 100pound item would have an extra 4 pounds insurance cost, if I wanted it insured, and then 20p in tax on that insurance.

Also since we packed our own goods the insurance only covers loss or theft, not damage, which is a bit of a ripoff.

There was something else I was going to say but I forgot; if it comes back I will add it.
Now that's a new one on me.
Thanks for the heads up

4% + tax exc. acc damage sounds awfully steep to me
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dougster75
We used Anglo-Pacific for exactly the same move (Essex to Houston) in a 20ft container. I think it was about GBP 3,600 but can't remember exactly. (I'm sure I posted it on a previous thread). Not sure whether you'll be able to do it that quickly. They told us we had to give a certain amount of notice to the local authority to put the container on the street etc.

Good luck!

Doug
Thanks for your input
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
We used Pickfords, 20ft container London to west coast including insurance and they did all the packing an unpacking £4200.

Very pleased arrived earlier than they said it would take and the packers were very helpful at both ends.
how long did the process take all in all??
appreciate it
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Oop - should've checked first - Anglo-Pacific were GBP 4,201 door to door including packing and unpacking (they can do storage at either end). We didn't buy insurance and nothing was damaged. We didn't get any extra customs charges at this end either.

Cheers,

Doug.
Thanks Doug

seems pretty expensive to me all in all,
two guys and a transit to load,
drive down the docks,
chuck it into a container,
bloke in a crane loads it onto a freighter,
freighter sails at 2mph for 5 weeks (how much diesel can that use up, right?)
two blokes with funny accents unload at the other end,
throw it on your drive, job done

just kidding,
thanks for the input people
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:14 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by croaker
Thanks Doug

seems pretty expensive to me all in all,
two guys and a transit to load,
drive down the docks,
chuck it into a container,
bloke in a crane loads it onto a freighter,
freighter sails at 2mph for 5 weeks (how much diesel can that use up, right?)
two blokes with funny accents unload at the other end,
throw it on your drive, job done

just kidding,
thanks for the input people
Well you're certainly accurate on the "chucking" and "throwing" aspect at least! Make sure you take out all the insurance you can afford!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Well you're certainly accurate on the "chucking" and "throwing" aspect at least! Make sure you take out all the insurance you can afford!
I hear you
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

how long did the process take all in all??
appreciate it
Packing started November 17th they finished packing on the 18th and had the container sent to the house and loaded it by 2pm and it left straight to Southampton docks. It arrived at LAX port December 26th was delivered to our Milwaukie house January 2nd.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:54 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's a new one on me.
Thanks for the heads up

4% + tax exc. acc damage sounds awfully steep to me
Yeah, we weren't hugely pleased with the insurance costs and the exclusion of damage. DH said it sounded like a pretty good racket because they can just throw stuff around intentionally and break it if they want to. We ended up insuring some things, but not all.

BTW the price I gave at the top was inclusive of all extra fees.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Might not help to much, but worth a search all the same, but there was a huge load of people moving to Houston last summer and a lot of info on the subject then that you might be able to find.