Shipping

Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Twentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to all
Default Shipping

Hi all

I'm returning to the UK on 31 July and have a dilemma about returning my things. I don't have any furniture, just personal belongings, books, DVDs and my bike.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, or does anyone have a container with some space I could pay for?

I'm in two minds as to whether to leave the books behind for friends and sell my bike etc

Any input would be appreciated.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping

Hi good Luck with the move back, ( envious here) where are you moving back from?
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Twentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to allTwentyseven is a name known to all

Moving back from Melbourne - check out my post about moving back after 11 years...I think its in this area...hasn't been an easy decision at all.

Where are you and why can't you go?
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You can send small amounts I am sure - my son sent his bike in a bike box through a courier service and it didnt cost that much - cheaper than replacing the bike anyway. I guess it all depends on how much it would cost you to replace what you have and whether that will cost more than sending it.

You must be counting down the days with excitement - not long to go now at all! I do hope it all works out for you!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the USA, so was wondering as I have some prices for a couple of boxes that was handed on to me.
well its a tough one because me 3 teenagers are now very american, moved here when they were 4years twins and 5 year old now almost 18 and 19 and half and husband has never wanted to go back...... so tough times for me. never really been settled
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:29 am
Just Joined

BritishIGuess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twentyseven
Hi all

I'm returning to the UK on 31 July and have a dilemma about returning my things. I don't have any furniture, just personal belongings, books, DVDs and my bike.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, or does anyone have a container with some space I could pay for?

I'm in two minds as to whether to leave the books behind for friends and sell my bike etc

Any input would be appreciated.
Looks like we're almost in the same situation - I'm heading to blighty end of this month as well. I'm not bothering shipping any of my junk back to blighty I was quoted around $1300 just to send my telly via the sea - shipping to anywhere from australia is very expensive and in my case not worth the time or effort
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Really?

Where are you moving back from? I'm from Melb.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:56 am
Just Joined

BritishIGuess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twentyseven
Really?

Where are you moving back from? I'm from Melb.
Melbourne as well - but I got quote for packers to come and collect it pack it, and generally do everything themselves
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Shipping

Originally Posted by quoll
You can send small amounts I am sure - my son sent his bike in a bike box through a courier service and it didnt cost that much - cheaper than replacing the bike anyway. I guess it all depends on how much it would cost you to replace what you have and whether that will cost more than sending it.

You must be counting down the days with excitement - not long to go now at all! I do hope it all works out for you!
If i was you before getting rid of your bike contact the airline you will be flying with it may class as a sports item?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes I used to work at Gatwick airport and for a small fee you could check a bike in, the passengers used to supply their own box.....so definetly check with your airline. It may not be as much as you think.

I did a search and this is one of the suggestions that came up
http://www.excess-baggage.com/import..._to_the_uk.php

Last edited by charleygirl; Jul 11th 2010 at 11:31 am.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks all, I'm definitely going to look into that one tomorrow. Definitely an option for me.

Thanks so much.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

hey look at this, not sure what airline you are travelling with but BA allow Bikes as sporting equipment, you have to follow certain guidlines though, i.e remove pedals have proper box/bag etc.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_gb
Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:40 am
Just Joined

thanks Charleygirl, I checked with my airline, but they charge $60 USD per kilo! Same cost to ship it!

Thanks so much for the link though!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 11:02 am
Just Joined

FlangeMcGravity is on a distinguished road

When I moved to Canada 8 years ago, we only came over with boxes - videos, books, CDs, couple of guitars, that sort of thing, and we used Excess Baggage (www.excess-baggage.com). 17 boxes, they put it all on a pallet and shrink-wrapped it and it took 2-3 weeks. Cheapest way to ship for us.

Cheers,
Steve
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

hey steve thanks for that link, i think that may be the way for me eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.