Shipping

Old Oct 26th 2001, 4:00 am
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

All the personal effects that i am taking with me (on a k1 Visa) cds, books, video tapes, toys etc wont be chargable on duty will they?

I am just a little concerned as i am getting them shipped out on monday and its all my things (used) and they are insured for £3000...will they charge duty on these items?

I have read the US customs website and i am not sure if i will be charged duty or not. They are personal household effects.

Thanks i am a little worried
Old Oct 26th 2001, 4:25 am
Shelley

This is from the K-1 FAQ http://www.k1faq.com/#5.9
5.9)...My fiance(e) has a lot of household goods which are being shipped over. Will
we have to pay "duties" on these things?
A..If the goods are really just household stuff (and more than a year old), there
will be no tax or duty. If you show up with a lot of brand new stuff still in the
original boxes and call it "household goods" you probably will pay some tax or
duty. Your shipping company can answer questions regarding specific shipments and
items. The shipping company will be familiar with the procedures and forms required
to bring household good into the US.
B..(newsgroup)..Your shipped goods won't pass Customs in the United States prior to
your entry as a K1. If you shipped your belongings prior to moving, then after
entry, you will send or fax copies of your passport, visa, 1-94 and the "date of
entry" stamp you received at the POE to the shipping company. ..(newsgroup)..When I
made a list of my belongings from Canada to US at the Fort Erie/Buffalo crossing, I
called the border official and asked about this. They told me that items such as
linens, dishes, clothing don't have to be itemized, but just say 2 boxes clothes, 1
box dishes, 1 bed etc. What they want itemized with serial #'s are electronics and
items of significant monetary value.
---
Hope this helps. Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Oct 26th 2001, 1:29 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Shelley that helps

I am just in a rush to try and get everything done with a little bit of panic thrown in there