Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipment costs London to LA

Shipment costs London to LA

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipment costs London to LA

Originally Posted by MarkCowan
Cabotage is a term used by brokers and shipping companies to allow containers to be "Shared" between nations and who then owns the rights to the conatiner after it is emptied of all goods. Its not set in stone, its an option......not all carriers use it. Like I said I can give the details of the people to contact who can help and who can probably cut the costs of your freight, without promises.
So...these people are in the biz of transporting goods from one country to another but you can't post details.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Though you may have good and genuine intentions, this sounds rather scammy to me. Are the goods going to be insured thoughout? Does the company (is it even a company) have appropriate licenses? Does the owner of the goods have recourse should things go wrong? I'd be wary...
I worked in the Container industry for years, there is no scam. Container sharing is done every second of the day. its the owner of the container and who buys and sells it that is the term "Cabotage" its done by Mearsk, Hyundai and every other major shipping line in the world.
Containers are bought and sold from both the importer and the exporter, its where the new or used container ends up after the goods are removed and taken to the payer of the shipment.

Let me make it simple, containers are made and are located in every major port in the world. Containers are used for housing, offices, workforce camps, storage and many many other things so if I want to buy a container from Jock in London (best price globally say) and I do not want to pay the freight costs of this container, so he gets people to fill the container, I then do not have to pay for this container to be shipped to LA, I only buy the container, the people with the goods inside pay for the freight costs, so "cabotaging" is one guy buying the container only and the other guy paying the freight to get from one country to the next, it saves on costs of containers and costs of getting goods through the water.

These two English guys based in LA, work for large shipping companies and nobody can work without appropriate licenses or not be insured.
They can get you a single use container, shared container, shared paid freight, not shared, cabotaged, not cabotaged, cheap, expensive, import perishables, frozen goods, drink, cars, households and much more. If you dont want to use them then its ok with me, I am just offering you the friends I know to save costs and have the money in your pocket instead.

Good luck, it seems that some people just want to be @#$% and looking for something that does not exist instead of seing that people are actually here to help.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

I worked in the Container industry for years, there is no scam. Container sharing is done every second of the day. its the owner of the container and who buys and sells it that is the term "Cabotage" its done by Mearsk, Hyundai and every other major shipping line in the world.
Containers are bought and sold from both the importer and the exporter, its where the new or used container ends up after the goods are removed and taken to the payer of the shipment.

Let me make it simple, containers are made and are located in every major port in the world. Containers are used for housing, offices, workforce camps, storage and many many other things so if I want to buy a container from Jock in London (best price globally say) and I do not want to pay the freight costs of this container, so he gets people to fill the container, I then do not have to pay for this container to be shipped to LA, I only buy the container, the people with the goods inside pay for the freight costs, so "cabotaging" is one guy buying the container only and the other guy paying the freight to get from one country to the next, it saves on costs of containers and costs of getting goods through the water.

These two English guys based in LA, work for large shipping companies and nobody can work without appropriate licenses or not be insured.
They can get you a single use container, shared container, shared paid freight, not shared, cabotaged, not cabotaged, cheap, expensive, import perishables, frozen goods, drink, cars, households and much more. If you dont want to use them then its ok with me, I am just offering you the friends I know to save costs and have the money in your pocket instead.

Good luck, it seems that some people just want to be @#$% and looking for something that does not exist instead of seing that people are actually here to help.
FYI, this is done on a large scale, not just 2-3 containers, but 50-100 at a time.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I know how it works. The point which appears to have passed you by is why you insist on keeping it a secret. This means that whoever is let in on your secret isn't able to make an informed opinion as to whether it is a scam or not. It doesn't even matter IF it is genuine - if it looks like a scam then I'm out. I'd rather trust reputable, well-known companies that have no secrets and advertise freely.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If that's the case...why can't you say...contact John Smith at ABC Company? That way others can comment if they have already dealt with said company and share their experience.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

I know how it works. The point which appears to have passed you by is why you insist on keeping it a secret. This means that whoever is let in on your secret isn't able to make an informed opinion as to whether it is a scam or not. It doesn't even matter IF it is genuine - if it looks like a scam then I'm out. I'd rather trust reputable, well-known companies that have no secrets and advertise freely.
I am no company, I do not work for a shipping company now, I work for an RV resort property. Its been years since I worked in the container world.

I have lived in Orange County for more than 8 years and I have many British friends, its these friends whom I am giving their personal details about. I am not going to just post them on a site that has more guest users viewing it than it does registered users. So I felt a private message with the information to a registered user who has been vetted by BE is the best way to protect anyone who I give information on who can help.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

SurreyGuy24 has been given these details of the 2 guys who I think can help him, simple.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

SurreyGuy24 has been given these details of the 2 guys who I think can help him, simple.
"Hey, SurreyGuy, I know these two blokes called Dave and Harry that have a white van you can use. Meet me out the back of the Nag's head at 8pm on Friday and I'll tell you the secret tap code to get in. Cash only deal, mind."

Yeah, sounds legit.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

"Hey, SurreyGuy, I know these two blokes called Dave and Harry that have a white van you can use. Meet me out the back of the Nag's head at 8pm on Friday and I'll tell you the secret tap code to get in. Cash only deal, mind."

Yeah, sounds legit.
<<<snip>>>I gave him their email addresses and company names, which can be searched and validated on the internet or however he wants too, no person in their right mind would just "accept" what one person told them, its a point of contact - help. something you are clearly missing out on in your life.

If you knew me or cared to think twice before you spout bs and childish stupidity then you would respect that I have a different opinion on what is public and what is private and how those details, email addresses & phone numbers are shared.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 3rd 2012 at 8:47 pm. Reason: No need for name calling.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

its these friends whom I am giving their personal details about.
I think you are missing the point of others concern. It is not your friends personal details that is being ask for. It is their business details which should be in the public domain anyway, so anyone who might be interested can research the company, and contact them if they wish to.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

your wrong
My wrong what?

and a complete negative twat.
No, a sensible, cautious individual who prefers not to deal with unnamed individuals or organisations.

I gave him their email addresses and company names, which can be searched and validated on the internet or however he wants too, no person in their right mind would just "accept" what one person told them, its a point of contact - help. something you are clearly missing out on in your life.
You obviously missed my earlier posts when I answered the OP's questions. You, on the other hand, did not answer the questions but instead posed a "I know this bloke...".

If you knew me
Exactly. I don't. As you have not backed up your posts with facts that anybody can check, there is no way that anybody here (except those you let in on the secret) can check for legitimacy.

or cared to think twice
I care for the OP. If I didn't care for somebody potentially getting scammed then I wouldn't waste my time posting.

childish stupidity
I believe name calling like "twat" is a childish trait. Who has been name calling?

then you would respect that I have a different opinion on what is public and what is private and how those details, email addresses & phone numbers are shared.
An honest company, or agent working for a company, will be perfectly happy - in fact delighted - to have their basic contact details (even a website address) recommended in public.

If they don't want their details shown, what are they hiding?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think you are missing the point of others concern. It is not your friends personal details that is being ask for. It is their business details which should be in the public domain anyway, so anyone who might be interested can research the company, and contact them if they wish to.
I gave the original poster the direct email address and names of the people to contact at BA Shipping and Lemans USA.
I told him if they could not help directly or better the quotes then they would happily forward him to the right people that they know and trust. A community is a community, here in southern california we have a build a strong one, full of Brit's - a home from home.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

BA Shipping and Lemans USA.
Excellent, that's all we wanted to know. Thank you.