British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   to ship or not to ship, that is the question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ship-not-ship-question-717332/)

judes May 17th 2011 10:53 am

to ship or not to ship, that is the question

another question, I seem to have lots, thank God for this site.
I am considering shipping back so much stuff, mostly my bedroom suite, 4 suitcases and varipous crapiola, not a house load or even half or 1/4 house, can anyone tell me what kind of price I am looking at ? Naturally all the companies want to come and take a look and give a quote, I understand that but I need a rough idea, I want to see if its worth persuing, so my question is,am I looking at $3,000, $5,000 or even more, just an idea guys, thats all I want. To ship back the cases ahead of time would be awesome as we are possibly travelling with 6 over weight cases, 3 hand luggages big as I can get away with, an elderly parent complete with walker and her CPAP machine and a dog in crate, madness !! Should I forget the idea of taking back furniture and buying new on arrival, my only reason for taking bedroom stuff is to save money, the crapiola, well thats all my sentimental stuff, which I can ditch I guess cause it is just stuff after all, to send the cases on ahead of time would probably save my sanity, which route do I take, I need advice here guys before I completely lose the plot !! :confused:

lhodson May 17th 2011 6:19 pm

Re: to ship or not to ship, that is the question

I can't help with the actual price as I am shipping a lot less home, but Rainers, Premier Worldwide, Schmacher, and Express Cargo all sent me an estimated price via email when I told them what I would be shipping. Might help if you want an estimate before inviting people over.

We decided its better for us to ship, in the long run, as things would sell here for less than we paid, and a lot fo things are more expensive in the UK to buy so the difference to buy vs price of shipping made it cheaper for us to ship everything (hope that makes sense!).

judes May 17th 2011 6:23 pm

can I ask what your lot less is and price your paying, or is that rude ?;)

lhodson May 17th 2011 6:32 pm

Apologies as I misread the amount you were planning to ship, and I am perhaps shipping more. We are sending my daughters crib, 2 armchairs, 2 tv's, king size bed, dressers, 2 side tables, 3 wardrobes boxes and about 5 medium boxes. So far the quotes have ranged from $7k :ohmy: to $2900 (but this was an estimate, we'll see what it actually is when they come round on thursday!). Our volume is 30 cuft.

Bob May 17th 2011 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by judes (Post 9369441)
another question, I seem to have lots, thank God for this site.
I am considering shipping back so much stuff, mostly my bedroom suite, 4 suitcases and varipous crapiola, not a house load or even half or 1/4 house, can anyone tell me what kind of price I am looking at ? Naturally all the companies want to come and take a look and give a quote, I understand that but I need a rough idea, I want to see if its worth persuing, so my question is,am I looking at $3,000, $5,000 or even more, just an idea guys, thats all I want. To ship back the cases ahead of time would be awesome as we are possibly travelling with 6 over weight cases, 3 hand luggages big as I can get away with, an elderly parent complete with walker and her CPAP machine and a dog in crate, madness !! Should I forget the idea of taking back furniture and buying new on arrival, my only reason for taking bedroom stuff is to save money, the crapiola, well thats all my sentimental stuff, which I can ditch I guess cause it is just stuff after all, to send the cases on ahead of time would probably save my sanity, which route do I take, I need advice here guys before I completely lose the plot !! :confused:

You don't say where you're shipping from, US/Canada/Australia? Shipping from the East v West coast US makes a bit of a difference too.

Looking at a minimum of a half container unless you can bundle up with someone else, but it's unlikely you'd be able to find someone splitting a container up more than that....so $3-5K probably isn't to far off the mark all in.

If coming from the US, don't know how big the bed is, but much larger than UK sizes usually, so bed sheets might be a hassle too...and unless it's good quality furniture, it usually isn't worth it if you're paying out of pocket yourself.

judes May 17th 2011 7:05 pm

from the East coast, furniture not bad quality, but I am thinking if I can stuff in my collectables, saucepans dishes, bedding, etc maybe I can come out on top, especailly if the stress of 6 suitcases is lifted, hell fire, this is hard work !! 3k sounds good !
By way, tv's is that an option ? will they work, we have very nice tv's !!

Bob May 17th 2011 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by judes (Post 9370458)
By way, tv's is that an option ? will they work, we have very nice tv's !!

Yeah, they'll work...no they aren't worth the effort generally.

If they're seriously massive it might be worth it, but transformers big enough aren't cheap, good ones still get hot and are a fire hazard and might not be covered by home insurance. They're great for occasional use items, but something running every day, not quite as much.

If it's got HDMI, which it probably does, it'll work, just need satellite as it won't work with over the air reception.