Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ship car to califonia , good or bad idea ?

ship car to califonia , good or bad idea ?

Old May 15th 2017, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ship car to califonia , good or bad idea ?

For Canadian imports you need a letter from GMC, Ford etc to state the vehicle is in compliance with North American specs. Just be prepared to spend some time in the DMV when you try to register it in the USA.
A vehicle less than 25 years old can be imported if that exact model is in the USA and it is modified to comply with NHSTA / DOT standards. This work must be carried out by a Registered Importer (RI). It is expensive a rule of thumb is $20,000 and up.
Over 25 years as long as the vehicle is close to original it can be directly imported.
All is explained on NHSTA form HS7 which is completed by the importer before the vehicle arrives in the USA.
Old May 15th 2017, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was replying tp the not possible comment, I know you have to get some doc through the Manufacturer and I think there are a couple of changes, are they not metric in Canada?
Old May 15th 2017, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

iarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I was replying tp the not possible comment, I know you have to get some doc through the Manufacturer and I think there are a couple of changes, are they not metric in Canada?
Indeed they are. But just like in the UK (and US), traditional speedometers generally have both kilometers and miles - the only difference is that the kilometers are bigger and printed on the outer edge of the dial. I had no problem importing my metric truck from Canada with a compliance letter from the manufacturer with a caveat regarding "certain minor labeling requirements contained in FMVSS101 (Controls and Displays) pertaining to the instrument panel".
Old May 15th 2017, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

The only titling issue I came across with a Canadian import was a car with a salvage title from Copart I was asked to help with. That was a true bag of snakes.
Old May 16th 2017, 6:10 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

In case you are wondering what happens to illegally imported vehicles, there is this nice video from the US Customs Service.

Old May 16th 2017, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Heading_Baltimore is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. You put the fear of God on OP with this video. It summed up the replies of everyone's query to OP.
Old May 16th 2017, 2:55 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - what a waste!!! I am sure there were perfectly good spare parts in that car that could have been sold on which wouldn't have been illegal parts in US. Such a throw away society!!

Although I did laugh at his comments about having to think of the safety of the American drivers - how about teaching them how to drive safely in the first place!!
Old May 16th 2017, 3:22 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine trying to use a drive-thru with a right hand drive car and considering everything from banks, ATMS and fast food places have drive-thrus I imagine it would get old fast.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I can't imagine trying to use a drive-thru with a right hand drive car and considering everything from banks, ATMS and fast food places have drive-thrus I imagine it would get old fast.
Old May 16th 2017, 4:08 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

that was so funny. Nearly as funny as watching a colleague trying to swipe his entry keycard for the car park the first time he drove his e-type to work. No problem with the swipe machine being on the wrong side for the driver, just that the bonnet of the car couldn't get under the barrier far enough for him to line up with the machine. Finally one of us helped him, but then he couldn't actually park it anywhere as the lanes in the underground car park was too narrow. He ended up reversing out the entry, having one of us open the barrier at the right time, and he had to park in a visitors bay. The one and only time we saw that car.....
Old May 16th 2017, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by penguinsix
In case you are wondering what happens to illegally imported vehicles, there is this nice video from the US Customs Service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzBFwFos-o0

That car had been rejected at several ports and had clearly altered VIN numbers.
Usually if a car is rejected it is seized by CPB and you can petition have the car released back on payment of penalties and storage fees.
It must be exported in a container not RORO and the container must be sealed by a CPB officer.
If you decline or can not afford the fees and penalties it will be auctioned for export only. Some Canadians have snagged some real bargains at these auctions.
Old May 16th 2017, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting that they allow cars over 25 years old. They must be less safe than more recent cars.
Old May 16th 2017, 7:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asg123
It's interesting that they allow cars over 25 years old. They must be less safe than more recent cars.
Yeah, but they are confined almost entirely to collector's cars, not ones that will be used for daily journeys. So they are no different from old US cars, typically only taken out for short and/or occasional journeys on local roads when the weather is good and the sun is up.
Old May 16th 2017, 8:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of a Defender, there's a right hand drive one sitting at a garage a town over. Surprisingly, looks in good shape too!
Old May 18th 2017, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
That car had been rejected at several ports and had clearly altered VIN numbers.
A lot of Discoveries were seized by CBP and had to be returned to their owners. There was some massive screw up with the VIN records CBP had been using.