Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

sharing info about med. insurance

sharing info about med. insurance

Old May 8th 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default sharing info about med. insurance

Hi
We recently had to change medical insurance. We were getting charged by our new insurers for treatment on previously diagnosed med. conditions and I was having to call up our old Drs. office and call the new insurers etc. etc. to get it all sorted out until......a nice lady at our new insurers told me that when changing insurance you can ask for a certificate of credible coverage from our old insurers, send it to the new insurers and it cuts out all the phone calls about previous conditions etc. etc.....this knowledge would have saved me a lot of time if I'd known about it sooner so I thought I'd pass it on. I think you have to have been insured for several years before your "old" insurers will give you a cert.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sharing info about med. insurance

Originally Posted by lisa67
Hi
We recently had to change medical insurance. We were getting charged by our new insurers for treatment on previously diagnosed med. conditions and I was having to call up our old Drs. office and call the new insurers etc. etc. to get it all sorted out until......a nice lady at our new insurers told me that when changing insurance you can ask for a certificate of credible coverage from our old insurers, send it to the new insurers and it cuts out all the phone calls about previous conditions etc. etc.....this knowledge would have saved me a lot of time if I'd known about it sooner so I thought I'd pass it on. I think you have to have been insured for several years before your "old" insurers will give you a cert.
This is part of HIPAA legislation.

If you have had continuous coverage for the past year, with a eligible group plan, without a gap of 63 days in coverage a new group plan MUST cover pre-existing conditions.

Creditable coverage is generally group plans, government plans (NHS is supposed to count, but some say it's hard to get it to work). Individual plans are NOT creditable coverage.

And as you said, you need to get the certificate of creditable coverage, and then they have to cover your conditions.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

If you have had continuous coverage for the past year, with a eligible group plan, without a gap of 63 days in coverage a new group plan MUST cover pre-existing conditions.

Creditable coverage is generally group plans, government plans (NHS is supposed to count, but some say it's hard to get it to work). Individual plans are NOT creditable coverage.

And as you said, you need to get the certificate of creditable coverage, and then they have to cover your conditions.
Wow! So do you still get to see the doc when you're sick?
Old May 8th 2008, 3:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit

You can always get to see the doctor when you are sick?

Who pays for seeing the doctor is the question you should have been asking.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, it's the 'P' part of HIPAA!
Old May 8th 2008, 4:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You can always get to see the doctor when you are sick?
Wow! What a country, eh?
Old May 8th 2008, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so that gets stupid question of the year award.

Pointless.

This thread was intended to help people - you are just being nasty.
Old May 8th 2008, 4:14 pm
Septicity

OK, so that gets stupid question of the year award.

Pointless.

This thread was intended to help people - you are just being nasty.
I think it's a very relevant question if you're sick.
Old May 8th 2008, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think it's a very relevant question if you're sick.
Why don't you start your own thread, to get on your usual soapbox and try to have someone fight with you - it won't be me.

People on this thred were trying to help each other - you are not.

Feel free to make the requisite snide remarks about me now - once you get it out of your system, perhaps you'll get lost and this thread can return to its helpful purpose.

I will not be responding to you again.
Old May 8th 2008, 4:43 pm
Septicity

Why don't you start your own thread, to get on your usual soapbox and try to have someone fight with you - it won't be me.

People on this thred were trying to help each other - you are not.

Feel free to make the requisite snide remarks about me now - once you get it out of your system, perhaps you'll get lost and this thread can return to its helpful purpose.

I will not be responding to you again.
I'm very hurt.