Reload this Page >

Shares ISA while living in US/w-8ben/w-9

Shares ISA while living in US/w-8ben/w-9

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:30 am
jcj
Just Joined

jcj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shares ISA while living in US/w-8ben/w-9

I am sure many people here have Shares ISA from UK brokers, which they still maintain. I have one as well, which I was managing online till now.

My broker has now told me that I need to renew my w-8ben form, so that my UK resident status can be reported to IRS. Since I will actually be a US resident (tax purposes) this year, I cannot fill out w-8ben. I need to fill out w-9, but my UK broker doesn't want to deal with it, and hence the post here.

How do other people trade US shares in a UK ISA, while living as a US resident here. Does anybody know of a broker who would allow me to maintain an ISA to do this.

Thanks for all suggestions and pointers.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

im9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really nice
Arrow Re: Shares ISA while living in US/w-8ben/w-9

Are you saying that now your broker knows you are US resident they don't want to deal with you? That's usually the case with a lot of UK investments once they know. I guess a lot of people don't really trade their ISAs like you or have Unit Trust ISAs (or similar) which, theoretically, can be heavily taxed on profits in the US.

I guess it depends how much they are valued at and where you are going to be in the future. You could cash out and invest via a US brokerage if staying. For the UK though it may be a case of trawling to see who will deal with you, e.g. TD Watrerhouse, Scottrade, Internaxx.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:31 pm
jcj
Just Joined

jcj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shares ISA while living in US/w-8ben/w-9

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, broker just needs to accept my w-9 rather than w-8ben, since I am currently a US resident for tax purposes. I told them that I cannot fill in w-8ben, which is only for non-us residents. I thought it would be snap for my current broker, but some companies just do not have support for all user base.
I am sure there are other brokers who would do this.

Since, here all are British expats in US, I was hoping people still had their ISAs after moving here. I don't think people just close their ISAs once they move. Mine is just a temporary move for few years, so I want to be able to trade within my ISA online like I did before.

Anybody still has a shares ISA account?