British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shannon Airport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shannon-airport-713108/)

Squirrel Apr 12th 2011 6:54 pm

Shannon Airport

We're thinking of flying to Boston on Aer Lingus. I've done it before and you pass through US Immigration in Dublin then on arrival in the US you just walk through like you'd arrived on a domestic flight.

I just wondered as this time we'll probably change planes in Shannon, if Shannon Airport also has its own US Immigration.

jjmb Apr 12th 2011 7:50 pm

Re: Shannon Airport

When we went via Shannon in 2008, it did.

Jan Alaska Apr 12th 2011 7:56 pm

When I've travelled from Shannon I've always cleared US customs in Dublin never in Shannon itself.

tonrob Apr 12th 2011 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska (Post 9301224)
When I've travelled from Shannon I've always cleared US customs in Dublin never in Shannon itself.

So you flew from Shannon to Dublin on a domestic flight then?

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 12th 2011 10:19 pm

According to the US Customs website, Shannon airport does have pre-clearance.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c..._locations.xml

steve100100 Apr 12th 2011 10:27 pm

I really don't care but curious, why does Ireland have this facility? I can understand Canada......but why Ireland?

AmerLisa Apr 12th 2011 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by steve100100 (Post 9301531)
I really don't care but curious, why does Ireland have this facility? I can understand Canada......but why Ireland?

I'm interested as well.....:confused:

AmerLisa Apr 12th 2011 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9301088)
We're thinking of flying to Boston on Aer Lingus. I've done it before and you pass through US Immigration in Dublin then on arrival in the US you just walk through like you'd arrived on a domestic flight.

I just wondered as this time we'll probably change planes in Shannon, if Shannon Airport also has its own US Immigration.

We're flying from Boston to Dublin in August on Aer Lingus. Its our first journey that way and on that airline. Just curious how the airline is?

Bob Apr 12th 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9301566)
We're flying from Boston to Dublin in August on Aer Lingus. Its our first journey that way and on that airline. Just curious how the airline is?

hit or miss...some friends have loved it, others hated it...so pretty much like the rest of them then :D

AmerLisa Apr 13th 2011 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9301637)
hit or miss...some friends have loved it, others hated it...so pretty much like the rest of them then :D

Good to know we aren't in store for anything fantastic....:D

We almost booked with Icelandic Air, they were initially having a good sale, but it went up before I could book it. Still I might give it a go the next time around....:)

Englishmum Apr 13th 2011 12:41 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9301566)

Here are the official Skytrax ratings and customer reviews:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/aer_ling.htm

Skytrax is used as a measure of quality within the airline industry and they covet their annual awards.

PS: there is a review for Boston to Dublin on 08 October 2010 - it seems that you have to pay for alcoholic drinks (1st time I've heard of a European airline charging for those - but when I've flown out of Terminal 4 at JFK I've seen large contingents of Aer Lingus passengers in the airport bar prior to boarding their flight, they were necking their drinks down LOL!). It might be a good idea to take eyeshades and perhaps earplugs too....see the review below:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/aer_ling-2.htm

Jan Alaska Apr 13th 2011 1:28 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9301499)
So you flew from Shannon to Dublin on a domestic flight then?

Flew Shannon to Chicago via Dublin with Aer Lingus

Jan Alaska Apr 13th 2011 1:32 am

Originally Posted by steve100100 (Post 9301531)

Its something to do with the Irish/American link I believe. As far as I know no other airports in GB or rather Eire have US customs.
Have to say apart from having to disembark the plane and wait in line it certainly saved time in Chicago.

Oh and my daughter recently flew with Iceland Air, she said they were ok and had more leg room than BA (which she hates). Iceland Air come up quite often on cheaptickets . com and I think but I'm not 100% they are part of the huge codeshare partnership that includes AA, Canada Air and others (Alaska/Horizon airlines up here)

JAJ Apr 13th 2011 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska (Post 9301758)
Its something to do with the Irish/American link I believe.

The Irish may have been the only ones to a. ask for US preclearance facilities and b. the only ones willing to make the necessary changes to airport configuration.

It's still not yet 100% comprehensive - according to Aer Lingus, its daily flight to Boston has preclearance but the other flight (3-times a week) to Boston does not.
http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinfor...usimmigration/

Squirrel Apr 13th 2011 8:43 am

The cheapest tickets were Iceland Express at £387 (travelling 15th Sept) but that suddenly shot up before we could book it! I'd flown Icelandair before but not Iceland Express. Our Aer Lingus flights are £447, cheapest direct flight is £531. However our flight arrives in Shannon at 8.15 and doesn't leave for Boston until 13.30 - long wait!

Lisa, it's a long time since I last flew Aer Lingus, it's pretty much on a par with the other airlines, not worse, not better.

rpjs Apr 13th 2011 10:43 am

I flew one-way with Aer Lingus Manchester-Dublin-JFK a month ago and it was pretty good. The Manchester-Dublin leg was a quick half-hour flight in a low-cost style plane (leather seats, no IFE, cash bar and food service) but the transatlantic leg was pretty comfy, an excellent on-demand IFE and good service with edible food. The only minus point was alcoholic drinks aren't complimentary. I'd rate it as good as BA or Virgin and better than the US carriers.

I've heard that having US pre-clearance in Ireland started back when all transatlantic flights had to refuel at Shannon. The pre-clearance is a real boon - as I was travelling with carry-on only it meant I was through the terminal and with OH within about 5-10 mins of the seatbelt light going out. I'd fly with EI again for that reason alone.

Tyrone Apr 13th 2011 2:36 pm

I've heard that having US pre-clearance in Ireland started back when all transatlantic flights had to refuel at Shannon.

That is my understanding and also all Aeroflot flights were also processed through Shannon Customs - the idea was to relieve the backup at JFK.

Lothianlad Apr 13th 2011 8:53 pm

When using the Channel Tunnel in your car via the trains that transport you still inside in your car from the French side to the British, you go through the UK Border Agency Passport Control checks, staffed by British UK Border Agency officials, at Calais before you join the train. There is no similar non British equivalent at Folkestone, but there again it is all one sided anyway - only the UK insists on all the usual passport and customs checks for all travellers entering the UK by train, ferry or air, irrespective of whether they are arriving from other EU countries or anywhere else outside the EU.

tonrob Apr 13th 2011 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 9303516)
When using the Channel Tunnel in your car via the trains that transport you still inside in your car from the French side to the British, you go through the UK Border Agency Passport Control checks, staffed by British UK Border Agency officials, at Calais before you join the train. There is no similar non British equivalent at Folkestone, but there again it is all one sided anyway - only the UK insists on all the usual passport and customs checks for all travellers entering the UK by train, ferry or air, irrespective of whether they are arriving from other EU countries or anywhere else outside the EU.

That's interesting. What the **** has it got to do with this thread?

AmerLisa Apr 14th 2011 3:37 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9303782)

:D

tonrob Apr 14th 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9303782)

Rete would have let that by... :(

andy1 Apr 14th 2011 7:25 pm

Because the U.S. funded the IRA..:frown:

S Folinsky Apr 15th 2011 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Tyrone (Post 9302765)
I've heard that having US pre-clearance in Ireland started back when all transatlantic flights had to refuel at Shannon.

That is my understanding and also all Aeroflot flights were also processed through Shannon Customs - the idea was to relieve the backup at JFK.

The Pan-Am Clipper started off with stops at Foynes on the the Shannon Estuary and Botwood, Newfoundland. After the second World War, the stops were at Shannon and Gander. In regards to Aeroflot, during the Cold War, it was important that Ireland was not part of NATO.

Now that airliners have sufficient range, the airports at Shannon and Gander are not as necessary as they used to be.

I believe the Irish government is interested in keeping Shannon busy and the US government is interested in keeping Shannon as a transit point for US military transportation flights.

As an aside regarding the other side of the world, Wake Island is no longer a refueling point. Neither is Midway.

AmerLisa Apr 15th 2011 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9305252)
Rete would have let that by... :(

Would or wouldn't have?

qprchris Apr 21st 2011 12:53 pm

Good old Shannon Airport, where the local time is 1972.

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9307187)
Now that airliners have sufficient range, the airports at Shannon and Gander are not as necessary as they used to be.

Most have sufficient range - except the tiny one BA use from London City Airport to JFK and also like to rather ingeniously avail of the immigration facilities;

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

Little bit more about the US border pre-clearance, still very much fully operating;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon..._Pre-clearance

oh, and hello to everyone by the way!