Reload this Page >

Setting up a US bank account before you arrive

Setting up a US bank account before you arrive

Old Jul 19th 2015, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

ILMLover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up a US bank account before you arrive

Hi All,
I bank with Natwest. I've heard that sometimes a UK bank can introduce you to a US bank and you can set up an account before you arrive.
Has anybody done this? If so, what bank? Do you think it would be worth speaking to my branch manager and asking them to try and make contact to Introduce me?
thanks
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up a US bank account before you arrive

Is Citizen Bank still a subsidiary of RBS. If so then Natwest might be able to, but I've not heard of anyone doing it. Why do you need to open an account before you get here? Most US banks you can just walk in with your passport as proof of ID and open an account.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Tried to set up one with a passport as ID when I was over there and both said no. Maybe I asked the wrong question as apparently I needed my SSN in order to set up the account.

I'm wanting to set it up before I get there because my employer pays by cheque so if I have to wait 10 days to apply for SSN, and then more time to actually get that through I'll be missing my first pay cheque and, depending on how long it takes, maybe two. I'm just trying to be as organised as possible
Old Jul 20th 2015, 6:15 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Unless things have changed I opened a Wells Fargo non interest checking account on a visit over here. Didn't need an SSN as it was non interest. Had the account for about 18 months before moving over. Gave them my SSN when I got it after moving here.

I would have thought you would find a bank to open an account for you when you get here. But it must be a checking account that doesn't pay interest. If interest is paid they do insist on a SSN.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 2:29 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ILMLover
Tried to set up one with a passport as ID when I was over there and both said no. Maybe I asked the wrong question as apparently I needed my SSN in order to set up the account.

I'm wanting to set it up before I get there because my employer pays by cheque so if I have to wait 10 days to apply for SSN, and then more time to actually get that through I'll be missing my first pay cheque and, depending on how long it takes, maybe two. I'm just trying to be as organised as possible
You can just take your check in to the bank your employer uses and cash it. You don't need an account there, just ID.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Tried to set up one with a passport as ID when I was over there and both said no. Maybe I asked the wrong question as apparently I needed my SSN in order to set up the account. .....
That is incorrect, you only need an SSN for an interest earning account. If someone tells you that again ask to speak to a supervisor, because the requirements for opening bank account, as set out in the USA PATRIOT Act are proof of your name, date of birth, an address, and "a government issued ID number".

The ID number that is typically supplied is an SSN, but a passport or drivers license number is, per the law, equally acceptable. Of course a bank might apply a more restrictive requirement than the law, so if speaking to a supervisor doesn't help then try a different bank. Wells Fargo is often reported here as being accommodating to new immigrants, and I bank with them myself.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

You are all amazing - thank you so much. Maybe I just need to specify a non-interest bearing account and all will be good - thanks
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:01 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Wells Fargo and passport as ID will work fine for a checking account. If anyone wants to insist on a SSN then tell them that you'll do it after your arrival and get it to them.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:23 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an HSBC account in the UK it's really easy to set up accounts in other countries. Do you have time to set up an account with them?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

I did go into HSBC last weekend and essentially, they said no, try Barclays! Based on my discussion, past experiences were confirmed, while good as a bank they will not be able to service my needs.

Going to try a non-interest bearing account when I'm back (likely September when I house hunt) and will feedback my experiences.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I did go into HSBC last weekend and essentially, they said no, try Barclays! Based on my discussion, past experiences were confirmed, while good as a bank they will not be able to service my needs. .......
HSBC has a very limited footprint in the US, basically just New York and a handful of branches scattered around in/near DC, Florida, and California. They have also retrenched/ cut back a good bit, so not really a major player in the US.

Barclay's has no retail banking presence in the US, though they do issue some credit cards.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 12:27 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, it shouldn't be a problem for you. 30 minutes was all it took to walk in, open an account and put some money in. We walked out with temporary atm + debit cards. Your employer's cheque should be available for you to draw on the next day. I really wouldn't get an account with a UK bank subsidiary if I could avoid it.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Skida is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also moving over in October but need to set up an account to arrange to have my pensions paid into. Otherwise i will have to contact pensions and employers when i get over there to arrange my account. Plus will have the money from sale of house to put in before moving ..... any ideas ??
Old Jul 29th 2015, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skida
I'm also moving over in October but need to set up an account to arrange to have my pensions paid into. Otherwise i will have to contact pensions and employers when i get over there to arrange my account. Plus will have the money from sale of house to put in before moving ..... any ideas ??
Most ideas are covered above.

Contacting payers from here is not exactly difficult!

I would probably pay everything into my UK account then use a money transfer service when my US account was known.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

alisongarf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cxx
If you have an HSBC account in the UK it's really easy to set up accounts in other countries. Do you have time to set up an account with them?
Not really -- to do this you have to have an HSBC premier account, which means you need at least £100k of your assets (this amount seems to change but regardless it's A LOT of your money, and can be mix of investments, current etc) with HSBC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.