Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Setting up a US bank account

Setting up a US bank account

Old Jul 18th 2018, 5:56 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up a US bank account

I had no problem opening my checking account with PNC.

I chose PNC, since that is the bank the wife used, and had no problems with. Also has a lower wire transfer fee than some other banks.

I know I took my UK Passport and UK driving licence, as well as the lease agreement of our US house. I didn't have any other bills, since they were all in my wife's name.

Once I received my SSN card ( a few days later), I took that to the bank to update my account.

Having a SSN does make life much easier, as well as being named on household bills.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

I used TD, who were very helpful and sorted things even without a SSN or address. I heard bad things about most of the big banks, Chase and so on anyway so wasn’t too fussed.

i emailed them the details later once I had them, it was some 6-8 weeks before I came back to the US with a perm address. Meanwhile the account was essential for receiving my salary via direct deposit...
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 6:33 pm
Banned

kjones90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LouisB
I used TD, who were very helpful and sorted things even without a SSN or address. I heard bad things about most of the big banks, Chase and so on anyway so wasn’t too fussed.

i emailed them the details later once I had them, it was some 6-8 weeks before I came back to the US with a perm address. Meanwhile the account was essential for receiving my salary via direct deposit...
Excellent, I've been looking for an account to open whilst I sort my SSN and perm address
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 7:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjones90
Excellent, I've been looking for an account to open whilst I sort my SSN and perm address
Are you emigrating to the US? If so, under what visa? I see that your first post was deleted and you have this one and another one about opening a bank account in the US and asking a question about UK pensions intake in Canada.

Inquiring minds would love to know your specifics.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 3:04 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute

On moving to the US obviously I will have to tell the bank that I am moving, I take it they would be happy having another UK address given (a family members) to send any correspondence too? I'm not sure how it all works when moving and wanting to keep the UK account open with just a very small amount in it after I transfer funds to the US once I open an account there.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trilo
On moving to the US obviously I will have to tell the bank that I am moving, I take it they would be happy having another UK address given (a family members) to send any correspondence too? I'm not sure how it all works when moving and wanting to keep the UK account open with just a very small amount in it after I transfer funds to the US once I open an account there.
Many of us have kept our UK accounts with a US address without problems. Check with your bank.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC were happy to retain a UK contact address (my parents), we asked them if they needed a USA one, they were ambivalent.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 3:44 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AL2
Some of you might find this article useful.
Has some general advice on opening a US account from overseas.
<snip>
Spam?

actually, I think you can't open a US account with a regular US bank from outside the country. You also can't open an account with most of the banks mentioned without a social security number.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 25th 2018 at 4:00 pm. Reason: Yep, spam - he works for them, so removed company name
Old Sep 28th 2018, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Spam?

actually, I think you can't open a US account with a regular US bank from outside the country. You also can't open an account with most of the banks mentioned without a social security number.
definitely need a US residential address these days, SSN has a bit more flexibility,
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

gm_hill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey - I've just opened a US account with HSBC. It's taken a couple of months but they didn't need a social security number (I don't have one yet) or a US address (don't have one of those either) but they needed a letter of confirmation from my employer and income details etc... It was quite a protracted process but pain free in the sense that I now have an account set up before we move at the end of this month
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 7:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gm_hill
Hey - I've just opened a US account with HSBC. It's taken a couple of months but they didn't need a social security number (I don't have one yet) or a US address (don't have one of those either) but they needed a letter of confirmation from my employer and income details etc... It was quite a protracted process but pain free in the sense that I now have an account set up before we move at the end of this month
yeah, HSBC will do all this for you in advance. The downside is their lack of physical offices in the USA. It's manageable but those times when you need a certified check for example - you end up getting a money order instead.
I relocate international people and just tell them that they can always close the account in a few months if they want to go elsewhere other than WF of Bof A
Old Oct 4th 2018, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
yeah, HSBC will do all this for you in advance. The downside is their lack of physical offices in the USA. It's manageable but those times when you need a certified check for example - you end up getting a money order instead.
I relocate international people and just tell them that they can always close the account in a few months if they want to go elsewhere other than WF of Bof A
agree. They do offer this for a small fee. As a us bank they are a bit shoddy.

if you need it well before you arrive, worth doing perhaps. For me was just as easy to arrive and open an account with a bank with a popular presence. Time between job offer and needing it, far too short to wait for their lengthy setup times.
Old Dec 15th 2018, 8:10 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute

Well this week I opened up a US bank account with TD, all they wanted to see was my passport and job done, easy-peasy, even got my debit card at the same time, couldn't be happier and another thing ticked off the list, I just need to go back in once I get my SSN to update things on their records regards that but the whole experience was painless and hats off to TD for their service

Last edited by Trilo; Dec 15th 2018 at 8:14 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2018, 8:20 pm
Austin. TX.

TD Bank - only along the east coast though.
Old Dec 16th 2018, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trilo
Well this week I opened up a US bank account with TD, all they wanted to see was my passport and job done, easy-peasy, even got my debit card at the same time, couldn't be happier and another thing ticked off the list, I just need to go back in once I get my SSN to update things on their records regards that but the whole experience was painless and hats off to TD for their service
i found TD super helpful to get started, less stuffy and formal than the others I visited who shouldn’t even entertain the idea.

They’ve been pretty good to me since and their premiere account is alright. Certainly they look after you well if you walk into a branch around here. Great hours too including Sunday banking, useful.

of course, once you’re up and running you can open other accounts, I’m personally thinking to open a capital 360 checking as well, as they get brilliant reviews and better coverage across the states, it appears.