Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Setting up an American Corporation

Setting up an American Corporation

Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:28 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Setting up an American Corporation

I've just recently been offered an excellent business opportunity working with a company in Atlanta. The only thing is that they would prefer it if I was a corporation as they would get better tax breaks in paying me.

Has anyone else from the UK come to the US and set up a corporation??

My area is web development and it will be only myself working under the banner. It will be home based (working remotely with these chaps in Atlanta) but I'm curious to know if this would benefit me or if it's not advised.

The company I'm working with say they will set it all up for me as this is part of their core business too so I have the help there. But I don't want to agree to something that's going to be problematic in the future.

The offer is extremely lucrative though so I can't ignore it.

I have my EAD and SSN but would I be able to set up a Corp given that I have no GC yet?

Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Excuse my grammar, too much Vodka and Red Bull. We’re celebrating the offer

Last edited by rincewind; Nov 18th 2004 at 1:30 am.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:41 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up an American Corporation

Originally Posted by rincewind
I've just recently been offered an excellent business opportunity working with a company in Atlanta. The only thing is that they would prefer it if I was a corporation as they would get better tax breaks in paying me.

My area is web development and it will be only myself working under the banner. It will be home based (working remotely with these chaps in Atlanta) but I'm curious to know if this would benefit me or if it's not advised.

The company I'm working with say they will set it all up for me as this is part of their core business too so I have the help there. But I don't want to agree to something that's going to be problematic in the future.

I have my EAD and SSN but would I be able to set up a Corp given that I have no GC yet?

Do you have an accountant? If so, he/she should be able to advise whether it's worth your while.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind

I'm pretty sure that you need at least one Permanent Resident (in the absence of a U.S. Citizen) on your Board to form a legal U.S. corporation. At least that's how it was in the State of Illinois about 5 years ago. And you will need a Board. I don't think you can be a one-person corporation. But a token person or two would do, although of course they would be legally responsible. There are other forms of business classification, not sure what's involved there. There's Sole Proprietorship, for example, but I don't know a) if you need the green card and b) if this will work from the tax point of view from the other company. The Small Business Association (google them) has a lot of information on this, as do the various State websites.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:57 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. The company that made me the offer also handle the setup of Corporations so I've sent them an e-mail asking for more information. I don't want to do something that's going to go pear-shaped later on.

The main reasoning behind it is that they get a tax break paying me if I'm a corp which is why they are driving it.

The town I'm living in is growing with more and more office spaces being built so there is a potential for additional business as well as the work from Atlanta.

Dollars are blinding me right now so I'm trying to think it through before jumping in.

Last edited by rincewind; Nov 18th 2004 at 3:12 am.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help, but good luck with it
Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:58 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
hope it works out for ya both!!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:33 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I did a quick google for you and found THIS SITE which has Georgia specific information. It says on the site that you can incorporate a C class corporation (the standard type of corporation) with only one person, but I am not sure of the citizenship/PR requirements.

I incorporated an LLC a few years back and that was easy and painless. I don't remember having to provide any kind of proof or residency.

If push comes to shove you could always have your wife as a director/shareholder.

Good luck to you and congrats!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:52 pm
You Are All Diseased

Thanks for the info guys. We were talking about setting this up in the new year. In the meantime, I'm paid in the usual way.

At least I have some time to research it all and find out if it's the best move to make.