Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Seriously homesick - will a quick trip home help or hinder?

Seriously homesick - will a quick trip home help or hinder?

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:02 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seriously homesick - will a quick trip home help or hinder?

I too would try throw myself into living here. It really is a short period of your life (although being pregnant a very important one.) You have plenty to look forward to with family coming out, and a baby to plan for. Maybe you could plan days out on a weekend with your husband to new places that you wouldn't have got the chance to visit otherwise.

What part of CA are you in? Does it have plenty of activities/meet ups that could keep you busy?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

New-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really nice

Thanks all for the replies. I just have good days and bad days really, though more of the latter. Thursday was really a very bad day.

We're near San Jose in CA. We've done a lot of sightseeing cause of my Mum being here, but as far as day trips I'm sure there's probably more to see.

OH suggested a weekend in Disneyland to help my mood - I am a big Disneyworld/land fan so assuming we can afford it (money side of things is so complicated with allowances and reimbursements - can't quite work out how much we have) we might well do that in 2 weeks time.

So yes in all am pretty sure i won't do an extra trip home in November, but guess its nice to think that's a possibility (although with OH trying to work out our finances, maybe it's not). I just seem to have a lot of 'i'm not cut out for this' moments. Guess it's probably not a particularly good reason, but a big part of my reason for wanting to come here was that at home, we were getting nowhere on the baby front, I was bored at work, and so I kind of thought 's*d it, get's just get a total change of scenery, rather than waiting for something to happen'.

I've managed to book something in for each day this coming week so that's good - at least I have a reason to get out of the apartment every day. One week at a time I suppose!

Thanks for all your advice
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New-and-unsure
Thanks all for the replies. I just have good days and bad days really, though more of the latter. Thursday was really a very bad day.

We're near San Jose in CA. We've done a lot of sightseeing cause of my Mum being here, but as far as day trips I'm sure there's probably more to see.

OH suggested a weekend in Disneyland to help my mood - I am a big Disneyworld/land fan so assuming we can afford it (money side of things is so complicated with allowances and reimbursements - can't quite work out how much we have) we might well do that in 2 weeks time.

So yes in all am pretty sure i won't do an extra trip home in November, but guess its nice to think that's a possibility (although with OH trying to work out our finances, maybe it's not). I just seem to have a lot of 'i'm not cut out for this' moments. Guess it's probably not a particularly good reason, but a big part of my reason for wanting to come here was that at home, we were getting nowhere on the baby front, I was bored at work, and so I kind of thought 's*d it, get's just get a total change of scenery, rather than waiting for something to happen'.

I've managed to book something in for each day this coming week so that's good - at least I have a reason to get out of the apartment every day. One week at a time I suppose!

Well done you, sounds like a great attitude

Just remember you are never alone, you are now officially in the Expat Homesick Club. The members come and go as and when the sickness hits

Enjoy your week honey
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Just remember you are never alone, you are now officially in the Expat Homesick Club. The members come and go as and when the sickness hits

Enjoy your week honey
+1 on that one. Try and enjoy it and remember to yourself, this is a temporary move, explore and experience something different, and don't beat yourself up about feeling the way you do, everyone's different. The pregnancy is new to you and a move to a different country is huge. I think you're doing the right thing this week, get out there and enjoy and remember..... you're not alone
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:31 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds positive then

Have you been to the Walt Disney museum in San Francisco? It's really interesting especially for a Disney fan.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

escudier is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There, i know where u are coming from. I have been in NZ FOR 8 YEARS and i still get very demotivated a lot of the time, best to keep busy and positive and focus on the baby. We are also going home 4 xmas to Hampshire UK where abouts are you? The thing is Hampshire is a beautiful part of the Uk who wouldnt miss it? Keep in touch eh.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember you are never alone, you are now officially in the Expat Homesick Club. The members come and go as and when the sickness hitsEnjoy your week honey
Im joining as well now please Serious home sickness
Good luck to the OP - Im told it hits then gets better......ride with the tide - go with the flow - as they say up here in hippy Northern CA!!!
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

New-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really nice

Aw it is good to know I'm not the only one.

Bad day today but think that's cause the nausea seems to have reappeared. Getting highlights done tomorrow, so that should cheer me up!

I realised this evening that actually this is normally my favourite time of year at home - I love it when the nights draw in and it gets colder and Saturday night tv starts back again (X Factor etc - I know I know, I probably shouldn't admit to that). So, this is probably not helping the homesickness! Maybe it'll be better in Jan when it's miserable at home and it'll be considerably warmer here. We'll see. At least by then I will well and truly be on baby countdown.

Ah this website is quite the godsend.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Im joining as well now please Serious home sickness
Good luck to the OP - Im told it hits then gets better......ride with the tide - go with the flow - as they say up here in hippy Northern CA!!!
24 years and counting and sometimes it still hits me as well, not often but I usually make M take me out for a long ride on the Harley. Soon blows the dooldrums away

Hope yours passes soon mate
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
That sounds positive then

Have you been to the Walt Disney museum in San Francisco? It's really interesting especially for a Disney fan.
We have indeed, went a few weeks ago. I loved the model of Disneyland!
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

I realised this evening that actually this is normally my favourite time of year at home - I love it when the nights draw in and it gets colder and Saturday night tv starts back again (X Factor etc - I know I know, I probably shouldn't admit to that).
You don't have to miss the X Factor...!

I have only been here a week but setting up a VPN for British tv was a priority. My secret fix is Downton Abbey and Coronation St
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halfmoon
You don't have to miss the X Factor...!

I have only been here a week but setting up a VPN for British tv was a priority. My secret fix is Downton Abbey and Coronation St
I do find watching UK TV helps tremendously. Although I enjoy many US programs...they just do not do dramas like Brits do. I find many of the US non comedy programs very funny in places...but it's not the same as the British sense of humour.

When I moved here in '96 there was no Skype/FaceTime...no BE...no watching UK TV programs...I didn't know where to look for British goodies. Now I can watch Corrie while enjoying a bar of Cadbury's...then speak to my daughter in Canada using FaceTime or my sister in the UK using Skype. I can even walk down the streets of old haunts using Google Earch. For me that connection really helps...it's my little link with home and my loved ones.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

24 years and counting and sometimes it still hits me as well, not often but I usually make M take me out for a long ride on the Harley. Soon blows the dooldrums away

Hope yours passes soon mate::
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:36 am
Just Joined

chilwell is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I can totally sympathise, I moved to Istanbul in 2008 and absolutely HATED it, wanted to move back home so badly. However I went back to the UK for a visit 9 months after I moved and realised it wasn't so great after all and the grass wasn't greener on the other side. Try to get out and meet people, I know it's so hard, talk to the other ladies in your group, I'm sure they will talk to you, tell them you are new in town and you need some help settling in. What I have found about Americans here is that they are warm people who will help you.

We are going to move again next summer, this time to Michigan which brings me to a new post with a whole heap of questions!!

Take care of yourself, I wouldn't go back to the UK in November I don't recommend you do that, 14 months is such a short time. We've had 4 years here and it's flown by!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

For the first 6 months I would have been on the first plane back if I could have done. We were living in an apartment and I felt trapped, as we had been in a house before moving over. The different way of life did take a lot of getting used to, but I told myself, it's only for 2 years, so the light was at the end of the tunnel. The time will fly by when the new baby arrives, and "going home time" will be there before you know it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.