Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Serious trouble - medical bills

Serious trouble - medical bills

Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serious trouble - medical bills

Get an itemized bill and go over it with a fine tooth comb before you pay anything.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:24 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

My son was in for overnight observation and tests after motorcycle accident cost $13000. I had a minor operation on my leg 2 nights stay $20000 . Both incidents covered by insurance luckily.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
ICU, a few days?

I hate to say it, but this is going to be huge. Seriously, we're talking six figures here. $100,000 easily. Here is a post by someone with 3 days in an ICU and it was $460,000

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=icu

You won't be paying this off on installments more than likely. If he is on a low or no-income, he might (unlikely) qualify for some medical assistance (Medicaid) but there are probably all sorts of residency requirements on that.

My advice would be to seek some professional legal assistance once this is sorted.

(and yes, huge bills are common in the US for those without insurance, and many of them simply declare bankruptcy and force those with insurance to pick up the tab with added costs for their procedures, premiums, etc. This, as you can probably gather, leads to some rather hard feelings on those left with the bill).
One of the hospitals here will either discount or write off the bill depending on income. They are a non profit who partly stay that way by paying out excess in a yearly bonus for employees. I would assume the discount/write off comes off the top of that.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:12 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Some one has to say it but you travelled without Insurance, the most important part of coming to the USA and you both knew the score. If it wasn't the arm, it could have been something else, much worse. To say you thought the other had done it doesn't wash. Who had the tickets? Everyone I know checks the tickets and Insurance docs (which most carry). Did you really forget, or did you just hope!

OK, that's the blunt part out of the way. Yes, you'll likely get away with paying cents on the dollar but you need to let the hospital know you DON"T have INSURANCE so they stop sending 5 Doctors to do nothing. Believe me, when they know you don't have Insurance (why don't they know already?), he will get enough treatment to get him home - and get him HOME as soon as he is fit you should.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Surely your US husband knew the score over here?
That's what I would have thought....
Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

ICU, a few days?

I hate to say it, but this is going to be huge. Seriously, we're talking six figures here. $100,000 easily. Here is a post by someone with 3 days in an ICU and it was $460,000

You won't be paying this off on installments more than likely. If he is on a low or no-income, he might (unlikely) qualify for some medical assistance (Medicaid) but there are probably all sorts of residency requirements on that.

My advice would be to seek some professional legal assistance once this is sorted.

(and yes, huge bills are common in the US for those without insurance, and many of them simply declare bankruptcy and force those with insurance to pick up the tab with added costs for their procedures, premiums, etc. This, as you can probably gather, leads to some rather hard feelings on those left with the bill).
I personally like Fatbrit's last two choices.... Quite frankly the chances of paying off a medical bill bigger then even a mortgage on a small crappy house is slim to none.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unlucky275
No, in the lead-up to Christmas each of us thought the other had done it.

It's a pretty harsh punishment for forgetfulness.
I asked because I thought the problem was it wouldn't pay out for a pre-existing conditions, ie broken arm and complications caused by it.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Unlucky275;8202365]The hospital at home said he was ok to fly,/[QUOTE]

Have you contacted the UK Hospital to see what their opinion is on this?

Jim
Old Dec 29th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

What can I do? People keep saying we'll be saddled with enormous bill, as though it's the most normal, most inconsequential thing in the world. This can't be happening!
Question for you............do you have any assets in the US?
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Have you contacted the UK Hospital to see what their opinion is on this?

Jim
Unless they have something in writing, I doubt this is going to be a fruitful avenue.

I find it tough to have much sympathy with the OP. Travel insurance is pretty cheap for people of their age, so there really is no financial reason not to get it. Plus, with a US citizen spouse, they should have been well aware of the financial morass that is health care access in the US. That said, trying to negotiate down or away the likely hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills they're going to get is probably the best way forward. As student(s) they may very well have limited income and assets, which equates to being in a stronger negotiating position:- the hospital will be aware that a bankruptcy will wipe away their claims giving them zero cents on the dollar. But if they have assets, particularly in the US, things are likely to get a lot trickier...
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

ICU, a few days?

The hospital I practice in charges $6000/Hour for an ICU bed. If I were you I wouldn't offer to pay anything now, sign anything or talk with anyone from the hospital, for now.....
As a Ph.D. student his income , even converting it to Dollars would make him eligible for Medicaid. Google "Medicaid in the 'state you live'", and call the number. He could apply for it and in most states it will cover costs associated with the entire admission. As a US citizen he will be eligible for it. Alternatively, declare poverty, say he has no fixed abode in the US, which he doesn't, and the bill will be written off.
In the future buy a yearly policy......
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
T
As a Ph.D. student his income , even converting it to Dollars would make him eligible for Medicaid. Google "Medicaid in the 'state you live'", and call the number. He could apply for it and in most states it will cover costs associated with the entire admission. As a US citizen he will be eligible for it.
Only four states cover childless adults for Medicaid although a handful of others offer reduced benefits of various sorts. I think you'd also have to prove residence, but maybe that wouldn't be too difficult as a student "temporarily" studying abroad.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

BostonWeedgie is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be a long shot, But you dont happen to have a Royal Bank of Scotland account do you? The Royalties account comes with travel insurance.

Check ALL your UK accounts and credit cards to see if any come with travel insurance (it will need to be worldwide to cover US/Canada medical)

Good luck
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

EmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really niceEmmJayye is just really nice

I'm not strictly an expat. My husband is a US citizen and we live in the UK.
This fact automatically disqualifies him for Medicaid. Although being a US Citizen or LPR is one of the requirements, another requirement is that you are a resident of the state in which you apply. Unfortunately, he was just visiting during all of this and his "legal address" is in the UK.

Most hospitals do offer what they call a "Charitable Care Program". It is a sliding scale of sorts and asks you mainly questions based on income. I do not believe there is a residence requirement as this is provided by the hospital and not through a federal/state funds. It's worth looking into because many hospitals will not even mention it to you unless you ask. I also agree with the several suggestions to offer a small percentage as a last resort. The hospital would rather collect *some* of it rather than see the bill abandoned and receive $0 payment. I had some pretty heavy medical debt years back and settled at a ridiculously low cost.

My boyfriend in the UK was always purchasing travel insurance and come to find out, he had it automatically through his UK bank so definitely look into that!

Never neglect your travel insurance! Good luck!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:41 pm
With 'er indoors :-D

Rumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really nice

Since your husband is a student is there any way that he is covered on his parents' insurance? I'm sure that they must cover the majority of his living expenses while he studies in the UK making him a dependent of theirs and as such, being a full-time student, potentially eligible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.