British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   SERIOUS Passport Help PLEASE! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/serious-passport-help-please-711069/)

BritishToTheEnd Mar 27th 2011 8:36 pm

SERIOUS Passport Help PLEASE!

Hello guys,

I have a BIG problem.

I work/worked in the U.S merchant navy. 2 months ago while I was away at sea, I ask my wife to apply for UK passports for my children (as they are British by decent) in preparation for our move to London on April 16th by cruise (back home for me, my wife is American). I emailed to her exact and concise instruction on how to do this (documentation, countersignatures, photo etc …). Misguidedly I made the mistake of off-handedly mentioning to her that when I applied for my own passport it took only 2 weeks to be completed (Dec 15th 2010 to Dan 1st 2011). My wife acknowledged me and so I THOUGHT she had proceed with my request (I was out of contact range).

UNFORTUNATELY when I returned home I discovered she had NOT submitted the application. She said that “bearing in mind that it only took me 2 weeks to get my passport , there was no particular hurry and that she felt more “comfortable” if I completed the application, lest she make a mistake”… Suffice it to say I was livid. In any case, I was able to get the application completed and delivered to the embassy in Washington on the 17th of March.

The PROBLEM is: I know that processing times fluctuate and our trip on the 16th is a PERMANENT move back home to London and if the passport comes any later than the 15th there will be no one to receive it at our current residence in Charlotte. I have already paid for a $7000 + for the cruise for me and my family and find myself committed, I cannot cancel or reschedule with loosing 75% of the money. Another PROBLEM is that I submitted my children’s current U.S passports (as directed) so I definitely need that for travel.

Is there ANY WAY that the embassy can be emailed so I can explain my situation and respectfully request and hope for my application to be fast tracked OR request the return my children’s U.S passports (after they make whatever copies they need) and have them forward the passports and other documents to my in-laws home (only IF it CANNOT be delivered to me by the 15th).

I called the premium passport phone number, but they said they were unable to assist me.

I invoke your experiences and expertise for help

James (BritishToTheEnd)

Bob Mar 27th 2011 11:56 pm

Re: SERIOUS Passport Help PLEASE!

Welcome to BE...good luck...

Have a search of the forum, quite a few passport threads on trying to get things fast tracked, though getting in contact with Dean, the British Consul, a member here, might be able to offer advice, you'll find his profile if you search him out and can pm him once you have made 3 or more posts.

Hindsight being what it is, you also didn't need to send in their US passports, copies would have sufficed.

BritishToTheEnd Mar 28th 2011 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9268344)
Welcome to BE...good luck...

Have a search of the forum, quite a few passport threads on trying to get things fast tracked, though getting in contact with Dean, the British Consul, a member here, might be able to offer advice, you'll find his profile if you search him out and can pm him once you have made 3 or more posts.

Hindsight being what it is, you also didn't need to send in their US passports, copies would have sufficed.

Thanks Bob, yeah! I hope that Dean graces me with his help.

Oh my God, it's times like this I could do with a large portion of fish and chips. :fingerscrossed:

tonrob Mar 28th 2011 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BritishToTheEnd (Post 9269202)
Oh my God, it's times like this I could do with a large portion of fish and chips. :fingerscrossed:

And ten pints of London Pride to wash them down with?

Good luck...

British Consul Mar 28th 2011 12:40 pm

James,

Thanks for your PM. I think it's easier to answer general questions in the thread for the benefit of others in the same situation.

I'm not sure whether this is a first time application for passports or a renewal, if it's the latter then I can look into the application for you, if not then there is very little I can do as you can't fast-track the work required for a new passport.

Let me know, and we can proceed from there.

Dean

Jerseygirl Mar 28th 2011 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9269318)
James,

Thanks for your PM. I think it's easier to answer general questions in the thread for the benefit of others in the same situation.

I'm not sure whether this is a first time application for passports or a renewal, if it's the latter then I can look into the application for you, if not then there is very little I can do as you can't fast-track the work required for a new passport.

Dean

The OP said in a previous thread that he's lived out of the UK for 10 years and that his children are British by descent. Therefore I assume this is the first application...thus the reason for sending so much documentation with the application.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711062

BritishToTheEnd Mar 28th 2011 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9269318)
James,

Dean

Thanks Dean for the swift response, wow!
The application is "first time" for my children so it sounds like I maybe screwed, but then again (being optimistic) my own first time application took two weeks in January :fingerscrossed:

Rete Mar 28th 2011 1:28 pm

I know it is preferred that the children, if they are British Citizens, enter the UK on their British passports. Having said that, however, I can see no reason why they cannot enter the UK on their US Passports and you apply for their British passports while residences in the UK.

Dean, is this possible?

Marocco Mar 28th 2011 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9269418)
I know it is preferred that the children, if they are British Citizens, enter the UK on their British passports. Having said that, however, I can see no reason why they cannot enter the UK on their US Passports and you apply for their British passports while residences in the UK.

Their US passports are with the embassy.

Rete Mar 28th 2011 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 9269476)
Their US passports are with the embassy.

So he gets them back. Or at worst, gets replacement ones from the US Passport Office for the kidlets. Nothing is impossible or hopeless.

BritishToTheEnd Mar 29th 2011 12:36 am

Either way i need to contact them as soon as possible to find out whats what (but i hope they are able to process the application). Previously this year, they were very efficient at processing my own first time passport

I think maybe my wife sabotaged me, because she's always saying she "doesn't like England that much"... When she says that i go off on her with a patriotic rant about the "Kingdom" versus this young upstart country (I called it other things as well).

I didn't help the situation.

Bluegrass Lass Mar 29th 2011 3:10 am

Originally Posted by BritishToTheEnd (Post 9270734)

Well, that's a surprise. :rofl:

Not to pry, but if she doesn't like England all that much, why is she moving to the UK?

BritishToTheEnd Mar 29th 2011 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 9270906)
Well, that's a surprise. :rofl:

Not to pry, but if she doesn't like England all that much, why is she moving to the UK?

Lol.. a variety of reasons, the main being that I (her husband) cannot tolerate staying here any further. I am an engineer in the US merchant navy and I have visited so many countries on this planet named earth, some with wife... all types of countries, poor, rich and every in between,short visits and long. Surprisingly the place I dislike the most is here. i have only remained here for my wife's benefit and comfort.

I guess my wife had been sensing my feeling because she first suggested we move. I took that prompt and ran with it.

Generally this is a nice country, I have meet many nice people from many walks of life low, middle and upper class...But this place is not in tune with my soul, I "feel" this country (although there are exception) definately lives up to it's stereotype: it's citerzens are Extremely ARROGANT and extremely IGNORANT.

I could rant further but suffice it to say she moving for me :D

My sincere apologize if I have offend anyone.

Sally Redux Mar 29th 2011 5:12 am

Originally Posted by BritishToTheEnd (Post 9270734)
I think maybe my wife sabotaged me, because she's always saying she "doesn't like England that much"... When she says that i go off on her with a patriotic rant about the "Kingdom" versus this young upstart country (I called it other things as well).

Sorry but :rofl:

I hope she gives as good as she gets :lol:

BritishToTheEnd Mar 29th 2011 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9271052)
Sorry but :rofl:

I hope she gives as good as she gets :lol:

:D