Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A series of questions about USA

A series of questions about USA

Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Squizzel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A series of questions about USA

Hey, im a 22 y.o professional poker player from the UK. I have a few questions about the US. I am interested in moving to and purchasing a house in las vegas.

It looks hard for me to get a green card, but is there anything stopping me spending say 6months of the year on a tourist visa? leaving and returning after my 3month visa?

Is there a maximum ammount of days you can stay before being delcared a tax resident?

Is there any restriction on being able to purchase real estate? i wont require a mortgage.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A series of questions about USA

Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:44 am
Just Joined

deadly.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:49 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Read this thoroughly.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Last edited by sime303; Feb 1st 2010 at 1:52 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:57 am
Just Joined

yeah i looked at that, i dont want permenant residencey. Can i buy a home then spend a few months of the year in america? whats the most time i can spend in america on a tourist visa per year?

i know you can spend 3 months maximum at a time.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:59 am

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't plan on working here then?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:06 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Lady GaGa, is that you?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:07 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squizzel
yeah i looked at that, i dont want permenant residencey. Can i buy a home then spend a few months of the year in america? whats the most time i can spend in america on a tourist visa per year?

i know you can spend 3 months maximum at a time.
If you're from a country that is eligible to use the VWP (the UK is), it is going to be very, very difficult for you to get a tourist visa, unless you are ineligible to use the VWP (criminal records, previous problems with entry to US are typical reason why you might not be able to use the VWP).

Entry on the VWP allows a maximum stay of 90 days. The rule of thumb is that you should spend at least as much time out of the US as in it, otherwise you will likely get a swift visit to secondary inspection, and you will likely have worse problems getting into the US after CBP thinks you are abusing the VWP.

If you DO get a tourist visa, typically you are allowed in for six months at a time, but the actual length is determined by the officer at the port of entry.

Again, if they think you are abusing the visa, and spending too much time in the US you will have a hardedr time getting back in.

On the face of it, a 22-year-old professional poker player who owns property in Vegas is going to raise about 64 million red flags in the eyes of CBP, who assume that all visitors are potentially looking to gain residence in the US, and it is up to the visitor to prove otherwise.

You've already said that you want to move to the US: you should probably know that US government employees are know to frequent these forums.

I don't think you'll have much chance of spending 50% of your time in the US.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed
If you're from a country that is eligible to use the VWP (the UK is), it is going to be very, very difficult for you to get a tourist visa, unless you are ineligible to use the VWP (criminal records, previous problems with entry to US are typical reason why you might not be able to use the VWP).

Entry on the VWP allows a maximum stay of 90 days. The rule of thumb is that you should spend at least as much time out of the US as in it, otherwise you will likely get a swift visit to secondary inspection, and you will likely have worse problems getting into the US after CBP thinks you are abusing the VWP.

If you DO get a tourist visa, typically you are allowed in for six months at a time, but the actual length is determined by the officer at the port of entry.

Again, if they think you are abusing the visa, and spending too much time in the US you will have a hardedr time getting back in.

On the face of it, a 22-year-old professional poker player who owns property in Vegas is going to raise about 64 million red flags in the eyes of CBP, who assume that all visitors are potentially looking to gain residence in the US, and it is up to the visitor to prove otherwise.

You've already said that you want to move to the US: you should probably know that US government employees are know to frequent these forums.

I don't think you'll have much chance of spending 50% of your time in the US.
You fun spoiler. I was slow playing him.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:09 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
You don't plan on working here then?
If the OP is planning to support themselves by playing poker, and they are already a professional poker player, then they are going to be SOL. That's going to count as work, UIAVMM...
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:10 am

If the OP is planning to support themselves by playing poker, and they are already a professional poker player, then they are going to be SOL. That's going to count as work, UIAVMM...
Read my previous post lol
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:10 am
Shocked of Redmond

You fun spoiler. I was slow playing him.
Sorry. I just fancied pissing in someone's Sugar Puffs...
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:11 am
Shocked of Redmond

Read my previous post lol
Looks like I pissed in yours too...
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

On the face of it, a 22-year-old professional poker player who owns property in Vegas is going to raise about 64 million red flags

Sorry.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:12 am
Just Joined

pro poker player isnt even classed as a job in the UK. i guess it is in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.