Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A septic poll

A septic poll

Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:19 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A septic poll

Originally Posted by Rushman
Lets get to the nitty gritty here. Its not the actual rhyming slang that you find offensive is it? No! It's the word "Septic" and your belief that it implies something to do with "Shit".
Forgive me if plumbing is not one of my areas of expertise, but the last time that I checked, a "septic tank" is a vat full of shit and bacteria used to break down the shit. So, sure, it's a safe bet that a septic tank has some relationship to shit!

You obviously don't have a clue as to the origins of the slang. It was devised as a way for criminals to speak freely without having to worry if they were overheard.
Isn't that what I said? It's a form of code, and if directed toward a Yank, I would presume that it's being used because they presume that he won't know how he is being insulted.

I dont believe its meant as a slur and you, like so many others, are fixated on the word "Septic". We call Greeks "Bubbles", I don't see Stavros and Mikanos complaining, We call Germans "Krauts" they call us "Tommy's"...no one complains. We call the Irish "Paddies" and they call us "Beanos" so what?
Some terms are offensive, others aren't. "Yank" is not an insult, but "Paki" is. "Frog" is pretty mild, but in Australia, "Abo" is equivalent to "nigger." If "septic" is strictly intended to be humorous, then fine, but I've never heard it used in a polite context, which leads me to believe that it is not intended as a compliment, nor that it is meant to be used strictly just for laughs.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Nov 12th 2006 at 8:22 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:25 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Gosh, I am a busy posting bee today aint I. Guess I just wanna be loved ha ha.
Anyway, was just wondering if any body's septic spouses find the rhyming slang 'septic tank' insulting? My wife is irked by it and I can see her point, especially when remembering that they don't have our sense of humour. She wonders why it cant be fish tank, or Sherman tank, or Barclay's bank (though we all know that means something different to us ha ha).
She isn't all hetup about it but does point out that a septic tank implies something that is chock full of sh*t.
Just wondered if any of the other Sherman tanks had mentioned this to their spouses over dinner or during a Barclay's? Though why you would want to discuss it over dinner I will never know
My Mrs is Finnish, I'm at a loss to find some amusing cockney rhyming slang for Finns. Can anyone help?
The more annoying and insulting the better
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lionheart
My Mrs is Finnish, I'm at a loss to find some amusing cockney rhyming slang for Finns. Can anyone help?
The more annoying and insulting the better
Oooh, lets see:

Benny Hinn,
Plastic Bin,
Horrid Din,
Gordon's Gin,
Rusty old Tin
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:33 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Oooh, lets see:

Benny Hinn,
Plastic Bin,
Horrid Din,
Gordon's Gin,
Rusty old Tin
Almost.....
How about wheelie (bin), dusty (bin), biscuit (tin) or stupid (grin) ??
Failing that he could just call her Russian - that should piss her off
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:35 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

My Mrs is Finnish
I didn't even know you weren't getting along
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:55 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I didn't even know you weren't getting along
Shall I get your coat?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:03 pm
Thinking about it

Shall I get your coat?
I can never resist that one - even if no-one else finds it funny it makes me laugh
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Some terms are offensive, others aren't. "Yank" is not an insult, but "Paki" is. "Frog" is pretty mild, but in Australia, "Abo" is equivalent to "nigger." If "septic" is strictly intended to be humorous, then fine, but I've never heard it used in a polite context, which leads me to believe that it is not intended as a compliment, nor that it is meant to be used strictly just for laughs.
TOTAL BOLLOCKS. "Paki" was just a shortened version of "Pakistani" and the reason it was deemmed offensive was because Indians (the ones from India not "your" Indians) found it offensive, abit like the way Canadians hate to be called "Yanks". The word "Paki" itself was never initially intended as a racial insult until the PC left wing Guardian reading do gooders poked their noses in and stirred up an unneccessary hornets nest. "Abo" is exactly the same thing..an abbreviation of Aboriginal. The Aussies have a similar habit to the British in that they shorten words. To my mind if anyone finds it insulting that their nationality or origins of their race are abbreviated..... then stop calling us "Brits".

As for the French.....nobody gives a f**k about them anyway so who cares whether they're insulted or not.

The term "Septic" is not meant to be either funny, insulting or complimentary...it's meant purely as a slang description and like I said, the only reason it's "septic tank" and not "Oil, fuel or gas tank" is because we "Brits" associate Septic tanks with the USA. You really do get all hot and bothered over some really mundane and unimportant shit.

Furthermore, if you did go into a British pub and called someone a "vat of shit" then you're likely to get a pint glass smashed and twisted into your face.....best not try that experiment.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:19 pm
Thinking about it

TOTAL BOLLOCKS. "Paki" was just a shortened version of "Pakistani" and the reason it was deemmed offensive was because Indians (the ones from India not "your" Indians) found it offensive, abit like the way Canadians hate to be called "Yanks". The word "Paki" itself was never initially intended as a racial insult until the PC left wing Guardian reading do gooders poked their noses in and stirred up an unneccessary hornets nest.
Pakistanis use the term 'paki' all the time - you will often see banners with 'paki power' written on then at cricket games.
Of course people who don't actually know anything about pakistanis will probably be ignorant of this fact and assume it to be offensive as it is often used in an offensive context.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:19 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
Nope, no Scottish person has ever said a bad word about any English person ever. Not even once.
how true
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Pakistanis use the term 'paki' all the time - you will often see banners with 'paki power' written on then at cricket games.
Of course people who don't actually know anything about pakistanis will probably be ignorant of this fact and assume it to be offensive as it is often used in an offensive context.
I cant comment....I'm not brave enough to admit to ever watching cricket.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Pakistani may well use the term Paki for themselves - in the same way as some black people refer to each other as 'niggas'. Both terms are still highly offensive if used by anybody else. This may seem illogical to you, but makes perfect sense to me. But I am of course incorrigibly PC...
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:34 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

TOTAL BOLLOCKS. "Paki" was just a shortened version of "Pakistani" and the reason it was deemmed offensive was because Indians (the ones from India not "your" Indians) found it offensive, abit like the way Canadians hate to be called "Yanks". The word "Paki" itself was never initially intended as a racial insult until the PC left wing Guardian reading do gooders poked their noses in and stirred up an unneccessary hornets nest. "Abo" is exactly the same thing..an abbreviation of Aboriginal. The Aussies have a similar habit to the British in that they shorten words. To my mind if anyone finds it insulting that their nationality or origins of their race are abbreviated..... then stop calling us "Brits".
Ouch, I happen to like the Grauniad. But in any case, you're ranting like a white guy on this one. "Abo" is an insult, and I'd suggest you not address an Aboriginal as such when in the Antipodes. "Paki" is likewise an insult when used by non-Pakistanis, just as "nigger" is an insult if used by someone who isn't black.

The whole situation is more nuanced than you'd make it appear. Some abbreviations are OK, while others are a slur. Can we accept that vernacular is not as black-and-white as you'd like to paint it?

On the Lonely Planet site where I post, I've pointed out repeatedly to Americans that "Yank" is not a slur (you may have noticed that Southerners get all hot-and-bothered about it, as they use "Yankee" as a derogatory term), and that those who interpret as such need to chill out and get over it, so I'm not one to take comments out of context.

In any case, I thought that the origins of "septic tank" were not Cockney, but Aussie. According to this Australians Abroad weblink, "septic" and "seppo" are derogatory terms, and are not just neutral: http://www.coolabah.com/dictionary/viewall.cfm. Perhaps it's an insult in Australia, but not in Britain?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Now back to Septic ..remembering this is London slang

I doubt there has been a septic tank in London for maybe 70 year
the average cockney would not relate it the way the poorly plumbed
and sanitation backward people would....
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
In any case, I thought that the origins of "septic tank" were not Cockney, but Aussie. According to this Australians Abroad weblink, "septic" and "seppo" are derogatory terms, and are not just neutral: http://www.coolabah.com/dictionary/viewall.cfm. Perhaps it's an insult in Australia, but not in Britain?
How stupid of me too assume that Cockney rhyming slang was not infact a product of cockneys but actually originates from Australia.

I'd love to debate this further but I've broken my arm and I'm on the next flight to Charles De Gualle to get some plaster of Paris.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.