Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Seperation before interview.

Seperation before interview.

Old Sep 12th 2003, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

sweetwater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seperation before interview.

I met my husband online two years ago, a year ago I came to the States and my husband asked me to marry him. I went back home to effect closure with regards to my property, family and job and returned on the 1st week of January and married my husband in the U.S.

Now , 9 months later my marriage is in trouble . It is not going well and he has already threatened to end the marriage right now. My interview is next month and I am now under huge stress as I have bought furniture etc. as well as I have been working at two jobs since the week I came to U.S.

I would be very very grateful for any help or suggestions anyone can offer.

What are my rights in U.S. if he files for divorce before we go for the interview of the INS and what if he does not attend the interview?

Is it possible at all to recoup anything from this marriage?

Thank you,

Sweetwater
Old Sep 12th 2003, 4:27 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles. It's doubly worse when you've made the effort to settle into a new country and cut your ties with the old.

I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but I'd advise you to repost your question in the US Marriage Based Visas forum, it gets more traffic, and the odds of you getting an answer will be greatly improved.

Good luck!
Old Sep 12th 2003, 4:50 pm
ScarlettHill

Default Re: Seperation before interview.

Originally posted by sweetwater
I met my husband online two years ago, a year ago I came to the States and my husband asked me to marry him. I went back home to effect closure with regards to my property, family and job and returned on the 1st week of January and married my husband in the U.S.

Now , 9 months later my marriage is in trouble . It is not going well and he has already threatened to end the marriage right now. My interview is next month and I am now under huge stress as I have bought furniture etc. as well as I have been working at two jobs since the week I came to U.S.

I would be very very grateful for any help or suggestions anyone can offer.

What are my rights in U.S. if he files for divorce before we go for the interview of the INS and what if he does not attend the interview?

Is it possible at all to recoup anything from this marriage?

Thank you,

Sweetwater
My understanding is that if things break down before the initial AOS interview your position is pretty precarious. Your AOS is based on proof of a viable marriage to a USC. If a marriage breaks down after AOS you can file to have conditions removed after a divorce or by showing proof of abuse. However, you have to have got through that initial adjustment to have those options. If your marriage is not viable at the time of adjustment of status, I don't think you're going to get your green card. I'm really sorry...

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Sep 12th 2003, 4:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seperation before interview.

Your thread has been copied over to the US marriage-based visa group. You might wish to check there for answers as well.

Rete
Old Sep 14th 2003, 3:20 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

It's very early for your marriage to be in trouble after only 9 months but if you both really want to make a go of it some counselling might help. Sometimes you just make a mistake and if that's the case then it might be best to just cut your losses and run but I do think that many people quit before they really try to make a go of it.

My husband and I have been married for 7 years and it has not always been 'rosy', we've had good times and bad times but by not giving in at the first hurdle we are still together and happy.

I hope you manage to work through your difficulties and come up with a solution that works for you both, best of luck

Emm.