Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Separation - I think" -comment on legal aid

Wikiposts

"Separation - I think" -comment on legal aid

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Separation - I think" -comment on legal aid

I just saw that thread (Separation - I think) and the OP really needs to take important steps. Thread was closed so I had to start this.

Regarding the suggestion of legal aid in the UK, it was written:

It seems I don't qualify he earns slightly more than is required to qualify.

Well, honestly, you're going to have to find money to pay for a solicitor or you're facing leaving the UK with little likelihood of receiving support in the US from your husband, and no way to enforce any agreement you think you have. You're also going to be still married until one or other of you find the money to file for divorce

It cannot be correct that the OP doesn't qualify. The OP wrote she is a full time carer for the 2 children, one whom is autistic. So I presume the income is the husband's. OP should push the legal aid people and say SHE has no income, the income is her husband's and she needs the support against him.
It's important to get the legal stuff sorted in the UK because that's where the husband will be in the forseable future and hence where the outcome can be enforced..

Not sure if this will be of any help at all or even whether the OP will see it, but I felt compelled to write.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 7:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: "Separation - I think" -comment on legal aid

She may be able to get some free legal advice (in the UK) via clicking on this link:

http://www.lawworks.org.uk/