Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sensible E2 Advice Required

Sensible E2 Advice Required

Old Apr 10th 2003, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

TrevorJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Sensible E2 Advice Required

I live in the UK (Brighton) and I am 42 years old. I am married with two kids and run my own IT services company here in the UK. I alo have just finished a Bachelors degree at Btn Uni'.

I am dissillusioned with the UK and want to relocate to a warm climate. Florida is favourite and we have visited many many times over the past 16 years.

I am financially sound and looking to purchase a business opportunity in Florida but have very little knowledge of life post-E2. What happens about UK pensions / state pensions, obtaining permanent residency in the US etc etc?

I am sure these questions have been asked many times but it would be useful to hear from anyone who has actually made this move and their respective thoughts after the event.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 5:17 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this website for Brits running businesses in Florida:

http://www.sunnybrits.com
Old Apr 10th 2003, 6:16 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sensible E2 Advice Required

Originally posted by TrevorJ
I live in the UK (Brighton) and I am 42 years old. I am married with two kids and run my own IT services company here in the UK. I alo have just finished a Bachelors degree at Btn Uni'.

I am dissillusioned with the UK and want to relocate to a warm climate. Florida is favourite and we have visited many many times over the past 16 years.

I am financially sound and looking to purchase a business opportunity in Florida but have very little knowledge of life post-E2. What happens about UK pensions / state pensions, obtaining permanent residency in the US etc etc?

I am sure these questions have been asked many times but it would be useful to hear from anyone who has actually made this move and their respective thoughts after the event.

Many thanks.
On the pensions front, private pensions are generally either transferable or will pay out at a 'frozen' rate once you reach retirement age and can be supplemented by a pension plan taken out in the US. Stakeholder pensions I have no clue about. State pensions I believe can be claimed from the US once you reach 65. I have heard there are new developments in reciprocity regarding this, the DWP's website says they are updating the information contained in their leaflets and I'm not sure if it's included in the US/UK one yet but here's the link :-

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/bene...3/sa33_feb.pdf

On an E-2 my understanding is that you cannot adjust status ( apply for PR) on the basis of a E visa but if you become eligible for AOS (Adjustment of Status) under another category (such as EB-5) you may do so. E-2 visas are renewable virtually indefinitely as long as your business continues to qualify.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

TrevorJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Thanks.

Many thanks all. Some very useful info and links!