Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending pictures to the UK

Sending pictures to the UK

Old Feb 7th 2004, 5:12 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending pictures to the UK

My wife and I are expecting a baby some time in the next few weeks (her due date is Feb 26th), and i'm looking for a good way to share pictures with my family back home in England as soon as possible after the baby is born. Can anyone recommend any good sites for uploading pictures to? I originally planned to email them pictures, but i'll be sending lots, and they only have a dial-up internet connection. Any help would be appriciated.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 5:17 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all
Default Re: Sending pictures to the UK

Originally posted by dgsyd1
My wife and I are expecting a baby some time in the next few weeks (her due date is Feb 26th), and i'm looking for a good way to share pictures with my family back home in England as soon as possible after the baby is born. Can anyone recommend any good sites for uploading pictures to? I originally planned to email them pictures, but i'll be sending lots, and they only have a dial-up internet connection. Any help would be appriciated.
Get yaself a good digital camera and e-mail them. It they have only a dial-up, it will take a while to download, in any case.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 6:24 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

That's right - emailing them will be just the same as uploading them to a web page - if you upload large pictures then your relatives with dial-up will still take time to load the images on the page.

The trick is to use one of the many shareware or freeware photo utilities (perhaps one came with your camera?) to decrease the size of the image. Many utilities offer "email slimming" of images where you hardly notice a decrease in quality but the size is shrunk to around 1/10 of the original.

If you have an Apple Mac, you can also create a screen saver which your family world-wide can view on their Macs
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Kodak's digital print service in the UK to send pictures to my Aunt who doesn't have a computer. Their website is http://www.ofoto.co.uk/Welcome.jsp and new accounts get a discount.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:39 am
Essex Girl

HelenWebber is an unknown quantity at this point

I use www.webshots.com to share photos with various members of family round the globe.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:01 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend www.shutterfly.com You can upload your pictures, and share the folders with friends. Not only that, but you can order prints and they send them to you in a few days via snail mail. It's an awesome service.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:54 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

If your UK relatives have a DVD player, why not burn them to a CD VCD? Then your family can view the images back on their DVD player.

We did that when sending pictures of our Ocean City, MD and Philly vacations back overseas. Then if they want to print them out, it's just a case of putting the CD in their computer.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Kodak do a digital option on their films now I believe. I know a month or two ago, we got some films developed at Costco and you just tick a little box on the form and along with the actual film pics, we got a disk that you can just put into your computer and print them off or even touch them up as far as brightning and other effects. Wasnt that much more expensive either.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 11:25 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

A little freeware prog called Oscar's Thumbmaker is great for reducing the file sizes.

You set your required pixel size (VGA, 640 x 480 works well) and the photos, it whirrs away and then you have everything as small files.

Email me & I'll send a copy.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default photos

I get my film developed in walmart and there's an option for getting them put online,then you can go online and check to see which ones you want people to see,put their email addresses in,then walmart.com sends each one an email and they can view all the pics and print out the ones they'd like to keep.It works very well,the other options are having all your pics put on a cd or floppy disc,none of the options are too bad,price-wise.......Sophia(Illinois)