Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending Personal Effects Ahead & Parcel2go...

Sending Personal Effects Ahead & Parcel2go...

Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending Personal Effects Ahead & Parcel2go...

Hi All,

My wife and I are moving from UK to US at the very beginning of July. Due to the cost of checking additional baggage with the airline, we had planned to send two suitcases filled with our [used] clothes in advance, and my [used] snowboard -- three items in total.

We had planned to send these with FedEx through Parcel2go.com however when I spoke with a parcel2go representative I was told that they could not carry these outside of the EU

She explained that we may be able to use Fedex directly for this, but unfortunately we could send through Parcel2go as they do not hold a license to carry 'personal effects' through US customs. She said that if we attempt to send the items through Parcel2go and the order gets through without being cancelled, then there would be long delays trying to clear the items through customs, and they would attract large customs charges

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Surely it's not that uncommon for people to send used clothing and personal effects from UK to US. The reason I ask is that Parcel2go are providing good prices for FedEx services, and I really don't want to check these items with the airline.

If anyone has any experience or advice, that would be a huge help

Cheers,
Rich.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:52 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending Personal Effects Ahead & Parcel2go...

To send personal effects, and I have done on a couple of occasions, I've used Fast Lane International. They use FedEx and a couple of others - never had any problems and all the items were correctly declared on the shipping documents.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
To send personal effects, and I have done on a couple of occasions, I've used Fast Lane International. They use FedEx and a couple of others - never had any problems and all the items were correctly declared on the shipping documents.
Thanks CS,

Are these the folks you mean; http://www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk/quote/index.php

Many Thanks,
Rich.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

That's the one
Old Jun 11th 2013, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

I wouldn't touch parcel2go with a long bargepole.

They lost sooo much of my stuff over the years back in the UK and customer service was a joke.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richbogle84
Hi All,

My wife and I are moving from UK to US at the very beginning of July. Due to the cost of checking additional baggage with the airline, we had planned to send two suitcases filled with our [used] clothes in advance, and my [used] snowboard -- three items in total.

We had planned to send these with FedEx through Parcel2go.com however when I spoke with a parcel2go representative I was told that they could not carry these outside of the EU

She explained that we may be able to use Fedex directly for this, but unfortunately we could send through Parcel2go as they do not hold a license to carry 'personal effects' through US customs. She said that if we attempt to send the items through Parcel2go and the order gets through without being cancelled, then there would be long delays trying to clear the items through customs, and they would attract large customs charges

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Surely it's not that uncommon for people to send used clothing and personal effects from UK to US. The reason I ask is that Parcel2go are providing good prices for FedEx services, and I really don't want to check these items with the airline.

If anyone has any experience or advice, that would be a huge help

Cheers,
Rich.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629133
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

robUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the rough

http://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

A company I have used a couple of times to send to the U.S.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:48 pm
Often not so civil...

And that's where I got the link
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The snow board, considering it's a while till winter, considered shipping it surface mail with the regular post? Would be the cheapest, though 6-12 weeks.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robUK81
http://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

A company I have used a couple of times to send to the U.S.
Thanks Rob! I have been on the phone with these guys and they seem quite professional. Can I ask if you were sending personal effects/clothing, and did you encounter any issues with US customs?

Transglobal quoted me for their economy service (5days delivery) a total cost of £225 which includes collection from my home and delivery to the specified address in US. How does this compare to other's experiences?

Originally Posted by Bob
The snow board, considering it's a while till winter, considered shipping it surface mail with the regular post? Would be the cheapest, though 6-12 weeks.
Thanks Bob! that could definitely be an option worth considering. Any suggestions in terms of what company we could/should use if we decide to do this?

Cheers,
Rich.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 10:44 am
Often not so civil...

Well I sent a large box with FLI for £80, but it's more dependant on weight than anything else - and it was reasonably light.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

robUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Rob! I have been on the phone with these guys and they seem quite professional. Can I ask if you were sending personal effects/clothing, and did you encounter any issues with US customs?

Transglobal quoted me for their economy service (5days delivery) a total cost of £225 which includes collection from my home and delivery to the specified address in US. How does this compare to other's experiences?

Thanks Bob! that could definitely be an option worth considering. Any suggestions in terms of what company we could/should use if we decide to do this?

Cheers,
Rich.
I sent personal items, framed pics and an antique.
There were no issues with customs at all. As long as your paperwork is in order there shouldn't be an issue.

Rob
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Cheers,
Rich.
At that price wouldn't it be cheaper just to check two suitcases? I know when I traveled and checked in an extra big suitcase it was less than £80 on British Airways IIRC, so if you and your wife each do that it could be easier and faster. Then send the snowboard via surface mail and it should still all end up cheaper.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:21 pm
Often not so civil...

£59.50 for a second bag with Delta.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
£59.50 for a second bag with Delta.
Hi CS,

Where did you get that number? The prices I'm seeing on Delta's site seem to be much higher...

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ip/excess.html

Bearing in mind that we'd be checking two additional suitcases, and a snowboard which is an 'oversized' luggage item, the costs of checking with Delta could be pretty huge. Unfortunately I'm struggling to get a straight answer from the airline, so I'm having my travel agent look into it to try and get a price from them.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.