Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending Money from the US to the UK

Sending Money from the US to the UK

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sending Money from the US to the UK

Guys - anyone got any thoughts on the best / cheapest way to send money from the US to the UK?

My US bank is going to be BB&T (cos its right outside of my office) and my UK bank is HSBC. I'll be needing to send over about $1,500 to $2,000 per month to cover the whole heap of bills that I have in the UK.

It it would be better for me to change my US bank account (or indeed, my UK bank account) then that isn't such a big problem.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending Money from the US to the UK

Originally Posted by dh010447
Guys - anyone got any thoughts on the best / cheapest way to send money from the US to the UK?

My US bank is going to be BB&T (cos its right outside of my office) and my UK bank is HSBC. I'll be needing to send over about $1,500 to $2,000 per month to cover the whole heap of bills that I have in the UK.

It it would be better for me to change my US bank account (or indeed, my UK bank account) then that isn't such a big problem.
Try the search function located at the top of the page...this subject has been discussed dozens if not hundreds of times. Also try searching for xetrade.com.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Try the search function located at the top of the page...this subject has been discussed dozens if not hundreds of times. Also try searching for xetrade.com.
Yeah - I did have a quick look on the search, but I figured this is the kinda thing that's changing a lot - and with more people joining this forum I thought it would be interesting to see what peoples current thoughts were...
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Geoff4488 has a spectacular aura aboutGeoff4488 has a spectacular aura aboutGeoff4488 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Sending Money from the US to the UK

I had a real problem sending money back to the UK too. Coincidentally HSBC. The best bank I have found is Chase. It's cheaper to do it than most banks and they also have the facilty for you to wire transfer online.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

XE Trade

definitely.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to have your bills in the UK placed on your credit card so you will get the bank exchange rate for the transactions (slightly better than the tourist rate you'll get for smaller ones). You can also get a ton of airmiles by the end of the year, at least enough for an upgrade to business class on a fligth home.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - I did have a quick look on the search, but I figured this is the kinda thing that's changing a lot - and with more people joining this forum I thought it would be interesting to see what peoples current thoughts were...
I'm sure the last thread on this subject was only a few weeks ago....
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:41 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. XEtrade has been the answer for at least the last few years now.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Super - thanks guys. Sounds like XE is the one to go for...
Old Sep 6th 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

I've used Xetrade every month for 3 years, and had no problems.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:40 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Yep i use XE trade in conjunction with HSBC online banking - easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You might find it difficult to open a UK current account with another bank now that you don't live there.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
You might find it difficult to open a UK current account with another bank now that you don't live there.
I'm still here for next few days - not going out 'till the end of next week.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

togman is an unknown quantity at this point

The HSBC (USA) Easy Send Savings a/c is a very good option If you have a checking a/c with HSBC (USA). You send the ATM card you receive when the a/c is opened to a named individual in the UK and they manage the payments for you. You only incur fx costs.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still here for next few days - not going out 'till the end of next week.
If you think you might want to open a current account in a different bank for any reason in the future, I'd do it now. You can always close it later if you want, but you won't be able to open a new one after you leave.

Also, if you haven't used up this year's cash ISA allowance, I'd open one now and put in any savings you're leaving behind. You won't be able to pay into an ISA once you are overseas.

I can understand the ban on ISAs for nonresidents, but the idea of not allowing a UKC who alreday owns a UK current a/c to open a new one seems a bit daft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.