Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending money to UK regularly? Foreign exchange?

Sending money to UK regularly? Foreign exchange?

Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:35 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending money to UK regularly? Foreign exchange?

We are in the process of buying a flat in UK and were wondering if anyone sends money back regularly. If so, what currency exchange do you use? We've used Xoom before which has been excellent for our needs but now we need to find somewhere that is registered, because the first amount that we need to send over is larger than Xoom allows, and we need to be able to show the IRS where this money is going. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending money to UK regularly? Foreign exchange?

xe.com - select the "Trading" option, and create an account from there.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

the fastest and cheapest option I have found is xoom.com - I use it twice a month
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkCowan
the fastest and cheapest option I have found is xoom.com - I use it twice a month
But the OP stated specifically that xoom.com does not meet his needs.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But the OP stated specifically that xoom.com does not meet his needs.
Sorry I never noticed that, Zoom has a limit of $3k until you make enough transaction to increase this limit - I send more than $10k a month back. They have to trust the bank to and from since they credit the amount to the recipient instantly - other than that yes sorry xe.com is the way to go, my apologies.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:55 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC Premier accounts in the US and UK, linked together so I can move money between the two in seconds.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:41 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Thanks for your answers. Would have replied sooner but went to bed!! I've seen xe.com and will probably use that. I just needed some personal experiences of what it's like etc.

Thanks again
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hi. Thanks for your answers. Would have replied sooner but went to bed!! I've seen xe.com and will probably use that. I just needed some personal experiences of what it's like etc. ......
I've used xe.com for years - it's easy, quick, flexible (works in both directions and with multiple different banks/ accounts) and the rates are good; what's not to like?
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 1:27 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Your own experience was just what we were looking for! Quick and easy is what we need. My daughter waited a long 7 nearly 8 years for a visa, then decided to stay with her boyfriend! We're purchasing a small flat to be near her when I'm visiting her and my elderly parents. Just as well, because they are now expecting a baby come June! (daughter, not my parents!). Thanks once again.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:15 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Thanks but I think we're OK for now.