British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sending money to UK regularly? Foreign exchange? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sending-money-uk-regularly-foreign-exchange-779209/)

Maggs Nov 29th 2012 9:35 pm

Sending money to UK regularly? Foreign exchange?

We are in the process of buying a flat in UK and were wondering if anyone sends money back regularly. If so, what currency exchange do you use? We've used Xoom before which has been excellent for our needs but now we need to find somewhere that is registered, because the first amount that we need to send over is larger than Xoom allows, and we need to be able to show the IRS where this money is going. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Pulaski Nov 29th 2012 10:56 pm

Re: Sending money to UK regularly? Foreign exchange?

xe.com - select the "Trading" option, and create an account from there.

MarkCowan Nov 29th 2012 11:27 pm

the fastest and cheapest option I have found is xoom.com - I use it twice a month

Pulaski Nov 29th 2012 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by MarkCowan (Post 10408655)
the fastest and cheapest option I have found is xoom.com - I use it twice a month

But the OP stated specifically that xoom.com does not meet his needs. :banghead:

MarkCowan Nov 30th 2012 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10408676)
But the OP stated specifically that xoom.com does not meet his needs. :banghead:

Sorry I never noticed that, Zoom has a limit of $3k until you make enough transaction to increase this limit - I send more than $10k a month back. They have to trust the bank to and from since they credit the amount to the recipient instantly - other than that yes sorry xe.com is the way to go, my apologies.

penguinsix Nov 30th 2012 5:55 am

HSBC Premier accounts in the US and UK, linked together so I can move money between the two in seconds.

Maggs Nov 30th 2012 3:41 pm

Hi. Thanks for your answers. Would have replied sooner but went to bed!! I've seen xe.com and will probably use that. I just needed some personal experiences of what it's like etc.

Thanks again :thumbup:

Pulaski Nov 30th 2012 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Maggs (Post 10409615)
Hi. Thanks for your answers. Would have replied sooner but went to bed!! I've seen xe.com and will probably use that. I just needed some personal experiences of what it's like etc. ......

I've used xe.com for years - it's easy, quick, flexible (works in both directions and with multiple different banks/ accounts) and the rates are good; what's not to like? :)

Maggs Dec 2nd 2012 1:27 pm

Your own experience was just what we were looking for! Quick and easy is what we need. My daughter waited a long 7 nearly 8 years for a visa, then decided to stay with her boyfriend! We're purchasing a small flat to be near her when I'm visiting her and my elderly parents. Just as well, because they are now expecting a baby come June! (daughter, not my parents!). Thanks once again. :)

Maggs Dec 3rd 2012 3:15 am

Thanks but I think we're OK for now. :)