British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sending money to the UK. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sending-money-uk-319873/)

robousy Aug 13th 2005 10:53 pm

Sending money to the UK.

I want to pay off some old UK credit card debt.

Whats the best way to get the money from here (USA) to there?

dbj1000 Aug 13th 2005 10:59 pm

Re: Sending money to the UK.

Originally Posted by robousy

Just send it to me and I'll forward it.

:cool:

robousy Aug 13th 2005 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Just send it to me and I'll forward it.

:cool:

GREAT!

Whats your address?

cindyabs Aug 14th 2005 1:28 am

Depends on where you live-if it's New England, NY or PA then there is a bank owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland and you could do transfer.

We use an electronic transfer that costs us 45 bucks a pop regardless of how much we send-expensive but quick.

PayPal?? Think it's not so speedy but might work for you also.

AmerLisa Aug 14th 2005 2:07 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Depends on where you live-if it's New England, NY or PA then there is a bank owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland and you could do transfer.

We use an electronic transfer that costs us 45 bucks a pop regardless of how much we send-expensive but quick.

PayPal?? Think it's not so speedy but might work for you also.

I was going to suggest a bank. I know when I've sent money back (to my daughter) I've just done Western Union. Never sent a lot of money, so the price wasn't bad....but they certainly can't be giving you the best exchange rate. You could find out if there is a bank that you pay here. For example MBNA is an American company.....if you had debt with them you might be able to set up payments that way. Just a thought.

cindyabs Aug 14th 2005 2:16 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I was going to suggest a bank. I know when I've sent money back (to my daughter) I've just done Western Union. Never sent a lot of money, so the price wasn't bad....but they certainly can't be giving you the best exchange rate. You could find out if there is a bank that you pay here. For example MBNA is an American company.....if you had debt with them you might be able to set up payments that way. Just a thought.

yeah, I should have clarified it-we do ours through BOA for that 45 bucks a pop. Sigh.

paddingtongreen Aug 14th 2005 2:27 am

Could you do it online using an US credit card? you might get a low interest rate for transfered debt if you wanted.

nathan barley Aug 14th 2005 4:23 am

https://www.xe.com/fx/login/

$18 per transfer, cheaper than the majority of banks. You can set it up to do ETF from your US bank, and wire to your UK account. Transfers take about 2 days to get into my HSBC UK account.

Very reliable, very, very competitive exchange rates (beats the banks, etc) and secure.

dbj1000 Aug 14th 2005 4:31 am

Originally Posted by nathan barley
https://www.xe.com/fx/login/

$18 per transfer, cheaper than the majority of banks. You can set it up to do ETF from your US bank, and wire to your UK account. Transfers take about 2 days to get into my HSBC UK account.

Very reliable, very, very competitive exchange rates (beats the banks, etc) and secure.

I can vouch for xe.com too, although I've only used them for currency transfers from the UK to the US, and not the other way.

Their exchange rates beat all other methods by quite enough to cover their fees in most cases.

robousy Aug 14th 2005 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I can vouch for xe.com too, although I've only used them for currency transfers from the UK to the US, and not the other way.

Their exchange rates beat all other methods by quite enough to cover their fees in most cases.

K, thanks guys and gals! I'll give them a try.
:)

dunroving Aug 14th 2005 7:12 pm

You could try simply sending a US check with your credit card bill. That's how I've paid my Barclaycard bill for years. The exchange rate they use is usually pretty good (certainly a lot better than tourist rates).

If you are talking several thousands, then I'd use XE.com to send the money to your UK bank and then write a UK check to pay the CC bill off.