Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending money/1st Communion gift?

Sending money/1st Communion gift?

Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice
Default Sending money/1st Communion gift?

Our (DH's) nephew is having his first communion in the UK in a few weeks. DH is his godfather.

I've asked the Inlaws (UK) what a traditional 1st Communion gift would be and am not too thrilled with the answers of 1) Rosary or 2) Crucifix. I mean, how many rosaries or crucifixes does an 8 year old boy need or want?!

Sooo . . .

1) What are more "fun" and yet still appropriate-to-the-occassion types of gifts to give?

2) If no other alternative, is cash tacky?

But then with cash comes the question of how to get it there. I have no issues sending 20 GBP for birthdays and whatnot, but feel that something more substantial than 20 is needed for this . . . but I am reluctant to send large amounts of cash in the mail.

Is there any good way to go about getting, say, 100 GBP to someone in the UK without sending it via the mail? Or if via the mail, what is the best way - insured? Certified? Are there savings bonds or anything else that work just as well? Will we have to resort to wiring the money to the parents' bank account?

The last option really isn't too exciting and I'd rather the boy had something physical/tangible as a gift - even if he then turned around and put it directly in the bank. Also, he's a saver, so I don't think he'd really use/appreciate an amazon gift-card or anything like that. Cold hard cash, or the equivalent is best.

I suppose we could have DH's parents/my Inlaws handle the cash aspect, but somehow I think they'd give is grief over it or try to persuade to give a fricken' rosary.

Thanks!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending money/1st Communion gift?

I suggest you get them a certificate holder

Very handy.

We brought these and they are very good.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Someone I know would suggest a book on comparative religion, but something like Who Wrote The Bible by Friedmann might be a bit more appropriate and is educational.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

xoom.com for the cash if it's going to be a one off kind of thing.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:45 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Could you get a first communion bookmark?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/94481250...m_campaign=GPS

I'm sure there are lots out there
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

You mention the boy has his own bank account - why not wire the money there rather than to his parents? You can then send a really nice card with good thoughts in it for him to treasure as a tangible item