British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sending liquids to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sending-liquids-us-918346/)

flagrunner Oct 15th 2018 6:09 pm

Sending liquids to US

Hi all

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I've been searching online and I can't find the answer, and I figure that this is probably the best place to find someone with experience.

I have a UK expat friend who lives in California. I'd like to post him a couple of home comforts that I know he's missing, particularly some biscuits and proper bubble bath! (hey, he's the one who says the US stuff isn't great!). My instinct is that there would be a restriction on liquids but I can't see anything on the US site. The UK post office site says there is a restriction on liquids over 1l but no further info on this (eg 1 litre per container?).

Posting from the UK in case there is any doubt.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone on here knows whether I'd be ok posting a few bottles of bubble bath (over 1l in total)?

Thanks

Rete Oct 15th 2018 6:17 pm

Re: Sending liquids to US

From the USPS site:

Prohibited International Items

• Aerosols
  • Air Bags
  • Alcoholic Beverages
  • Ammunition
  • Cigarettes
  • Dry Ice
  • Explosives
  • Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
  • Gasoline
  • Marijuana (medical or otherwise)
  • Nail Polish
  • Perfumes (containing alcohol)
  • Poison

steveq Oct 15th 2018 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by flagrunner (Post 12577979)
Anyway, just wondering if anyone on here knows whether I'd be ok posting a few bottles of bubble bath (over 1l in total)?

YOu shouldn't have much trouble, since its water based. You can move even very toxic liquids, if you pack them right, send them by the right carrier....and pay through the nose....

Steve

flagrunner Oct 15th 2018 8:23 pm

Thank you both.Looks like I don't need to be worrying too much :)

Rete Oct 15th 2018 11:41 pm

Have to say in 70 years, I've never met a man who takes a bubble bath, or even a bath, itself. Seems every male I know is a shower person.

petitefrancaise Oct 16th 2018 2:37 am

I should think the cost of posting is going to put you off!
most of us just look on Amazon.com for these things..

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 16th 2018 6:48 am

Contact the UK post people. They will know for sure.

I cant see bubble bath being an issue though.

Nutmegger Oct 16th 2018 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12578168)
I should think the cost of posting is going to put you off!
most of us just look on Amazon.com for these things..

Absolutely! Knowing how ridiculous the postage is to send a couple of light tee shirts to my nephews in the UK, I can't imagine what an obviously heavier bottle of bubble bath would cost!

dave2702 Oct 17th 2018 8:50 pm

My Parents go to Staples in the UK, for a flat rate of about £35 you can fill up a large box with whatever you want and best of it it usually arrives here in Chicago in about 3 days.

They've sent a few bottles through wrapped up tightly in bubble wrap and all have arrived safely. It's about now they'll be doing the Christmas Delivery