Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending GBP to the UK

Sending GBP to the UK

Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

CO.Ski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending GBP to the UK

Hello - Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get some money to my mum in the UK? She bought something for me and I need to pay her its only 149 GBP, about $250. I want it to be in GBP when it arrives and not US$, I called my bank (Credit Union) they could not help. I tried Wells Fargo and they will only help if I am a customer which I am not.

So I know I could do a wire transfer - but that seems very complicated from what the bank said, needing to know which American Bank my mum's bank is affiliated with

I don't think I should send travelers checks through US mail, my bank is useless and any bank who can help won't as I'm not a customer ugh....

Any help its not masses of money - but I want to get it to my mum as quickly and painlessly as possible
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default Re: Sending GBP to the UK

I use xe.com to send money to the UK and a good rate and no fee either
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
thanks i will check them out - does not seem like this should be so difficult
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Would they do that small an amount, even if there was a fee?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My mom paid me for a gift I bought at Christmas using paypal, it came to me as USD. Very small fee and she said she got a good exchange rate.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a small amount, just use paypal or xoom.com ?

Or you could get them a visa debit gift card loaded up and send that in the mail...
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

put folding notes in an envelope and tell her to change it at Thomas Cook.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:07 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Have you still got any cheques left from your current account? You could mail one of those.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone - I appreciate the help - I'd not even thought about Pay Pal.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Paypal with the Friends & Family option is likely to be your cheapest bet to get the money over.

Wire transfers are costly and seem to incur additional fees at all ends so I'm trying to avoid them as best as I can.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Western Union as a last resort. Travel agents with forex in the UK are often WU agents.

Beware of fee-free deals though, always check the exchange rate. After all, they make their money somehow and it's that slightly wider difference between buy and sell that costs you. One with a fee might work out cheaper than one without.